kinda off topic engine swappin question

An old Army buddy called me (he lives nearby) and has a spare souped up 350 from his full sized 90ish Jimmy that some idiot crank freak of a mechanic did for him BUT found out (too late) that it wasn't smog legal
in Calif and he had to buy a second 350 for his 4X4
He is axin me if it would fit in his 67 Pontiac with a worn out 389, and I have no idea where to go for info on it.....did a bit of searching but found nothing about it
But did learn not to try putting one in my worn out '73 450SL
Chevy engines fit ONLY Chevy transmissions. There are adapter plates, although I've never used one myself. Search for BOP adapter...
Ladude
An old Army buddy called me (he lives nearby) and has a spare souped up 350 from his full sized 90ish Jimmy that some idiot crank freak of a mechanic did for him BUT found out (too late) that it wasn't smog legal in Calif and he had to buy a second 350 for his 4X4
He is axin me if it would fit in his 67 Pontiac with a worn out 389, and I have no idea where to go for info on it.....did a bit of searching but found nothing about it
But did learn not to try putting one in my worn out '73 450SL
LaDude is right. The bell housing is different on a Pontiac.
Just wondering and giving my 2 cents: Why would you swap in a Chevy engine where a Pontiac once resided? I realize you already have it, but I'd not waste my time, especially if you have a 389 sitting there. Pull the Injun engine and rebuild it. With the right parts, you'll make more power with that Pontiac 389 engine than you will with a 350 Chevy. Although, with the 350 Chevy, you can have an underpowered gas hog that won't get out of it's own way - some people like that (usually the same people that tell me they have a 350 big block or the ones that say they know where there is a guy who has a Pontiac 455 big block.)
Uh-oh. I think the above reply will get me stoned out of the city again. Sorry, guys - I was just in one of my "exterminate small blocks" moods. Nothing personal meant at all. I'll get over it soon :-)
Snowman

Probably wanted me to swap them, (I'm a lazy butt) and that's a great exkuze--Ken
Snowman wrote:

I'm not sure if Pontiac is anything like Oldsmobile, but it would have cost me twice as much to do a stock rebuild on my old 455, than it would have on a BB Chevy.
Performance parts were VERY hard to come by, and the selection was very limited.
I highly considered doing the Chevy swap, until I just gave up on the whole project.
-marc
Chevy parts are more readily available, by far. I'd imagine the Olds parts would be tougher to find that those for the Pontiac ones, since I think there are more Pontiac muscle enthusiasts creating more activity.
Snowman

engine
not
Injun
with
the
it's
they
who

Hmm... pardon if I hijack the thread... But I was wondering tht since Chevy and Isuzu are part of the GM stable of companies, will the Isuzu manual 5 speed GB fitted to the Bighorn/Trooper, Amigo/Mu/Frontera 3door and Rodeo/Wizard/Frontera 5door fit a chevy engine like the 350 smallblock?
rhys

no..... Isuzu is only partly owned by GM (10% now, I believe) Chevy has been 100% GM for the better part of a century. the bellhousing pattern of the MUA is NOTHING like a chevy pattern. and since the bellhousing is integral to the case, you're kinda screwed. I've heard of an oddball bellhousing that's around that'll allow a Toyota trans behind a Isuzu motor, but nothing for a Chevy to Isuzu.
why would you want to do this anyways? I don't think the MUA would have a very long life behind any Chevy V8 worth the trouble of swapping in.
HTH, Bret

Chevy
5
The Chevy 350/5.7l V8 is the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing as the Holden 3.8 V6 which can be had cheap here in NZ. the holden 3800 is a very solid economical engine, and I can get a 3800 out of a Commadore cheaper than an Isuzu 4JB1-T diesel.
thanks for the info.
rhys
wrote

manual
smallblock?
Isn't Holden GM owned? Or at least it was at one time. I know that back in the '60 they made a beautiful copy of the Chevy II/Nova, The only difference was the right hand drive.
wrote

since
very
difference
Yup, it's 100% IIRC GM owned. RHD Holdens are sold in the middle east as Caddys and Chevys I've heard.
the Holden SS and performance cars use Chevy 350 shortblocks from a factory in the states as theres not enough demand to make them in AUst, but the 3800 is an old Buick design that over the years is now totally incompataible witht he original Buick design as it's been modded by Aussie engineers to suit aussie needs better. IIRC the latest Holden coupe mucsle cars use a high performance Chevy gearbox.
I asked if the 350 would fit an Isuzu cause you know 350's and their bolt pattern and wouldn't have to research the 3800 pattern :) that just left me hoping you knew the Izusu box pattern and if they matched :( which unfortunately the apparantly dont...
I do know the 3800 fits fine on a Landrover box, theres a number driving around here with 3800's fitted in place of the origional LR engine.
rhys