leaf springs

I got a 93 silverado and just recently threw a load of gravel into 'er and the leaf springs maxxed out. The load was in the bed for roughly 45 minutes or so but when we emptied
it out the springs came back and truck was at regular ride height.
Does bottoming thte springs out damage anything? I am looking at adding another spring to the rear end to haul more weight. Local spring shop said that another spring on each side would roughly allow me to hul 1 ton more without any noticable movement in ride height. ----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
He said one leaf would add a ton (2,000 lb) to your load capacity? I think there is a communication breakdown. Very unlikely, even without considering the impact of a ton on frame, tires, wheels, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. Put less gravel in it next time and save your truck. An overload spring will help when you load to the max but not impact the ride when running empty. You can buy overloads at any parts or RV supply house.