Leaking Intake Gaskets - Need Advice

'98 Z71 w/5.7, 78k miles, looks like the intake gaskets are starting to leak... (from reading some of the other forums, it seems GM's got a problem with this intake manifold) Anyone had any luck getting the dealership correct the problem?

If I'm going to take the time to change them, I want to install the best available, what's the best brand out there to buy?

Thanks

You would be fortunate if you could get goodwill on this vehicle. I've never seen it yet on a 5.7 intake gasket. And never on a 7 year old vehicle.

Get the GM one. They have an updated gasket with metal inserts in it and a revised torque.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

They do on the V6 but not the V8 unless they changed it in last few months. I would try a FelPro myself

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Why the FelPro gasket over the updated GM gasket? Have they made better improvements to it? If yes what's better?

Thanks Brian

Reply to
diablo

Mine was 10 years old at the time. There was galvanic action between the heads and the intake, so a new intake and gasket did it. I am disappointed to hear these problems still exist, so who's fault is it really that Toyota is approaching #1?

Reply to
Alex

Steel core instead of plastic, laminated rubber over the core instead of rubber inserts. But you have to request the right part number, Fel-Pro also makes replacement gaskets that look just like the OEMs. The part number for the VIN "R" 5.7 is MS98000T Includes 2 lower manifold gaskets, 1 valve cover gasket, 1 upper plenum gasket, 1 throttle body gasket, 2 fuel line o-rings, 1 distributor base gasket, 1 small tube of RTV. Price: $55.00 wholesale, $80 (ish) retail

Also available for the VIN W&X 4.3, VIN M 3.1, VIN E&J 3.4

- been using the MS98000T for about 6 months now, no failures but it's probably too soon to tell.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Having owned vehicles manufactured by Honda and Toyota as well as those manufactured buy all current American manufacturers, I can say without reservation that the best vehicle I have ever owned (reliability wise) was and is a Chevrolet. One of the most problematic vehicles I have ever owned was a Honda Civic.

Reply to
Advocate

I wish your words were more true for my Tacoma can't pull a load like a Ford or Chevy. Another big block gas or diesel is in my future, and I am undecided on brand other than 3/4 ton and less than $35k

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Ah yes....I wouldn't know, would I? I only work on them every day in a dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

If your vehicle was a pre-Vortec model.....it was a different gasket, different problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

When I hand mine changed this spring under warranty, I asked them about it directly and looked at them too and there was no change on the ones for my 2000 5.7. You may work on them daily but I still do not have much faith in some of their gaskets. They pulled the tcase twice to stop a oil leak between tranny and Tcase on same seal.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I am wondering at this point if the gasket is bad or could it just be a warped manifold that started this mess in the first place... Rockauto has a new manifold for about $60... since I'll have the thing torn down anyways, would you replace the manifold at the same time or take a chance and assume the old one is OK?

TheSnoMan

Toyota has made a Compact 1 Ton, with dual rear wheels for over 2 decades. Mostly seen here in America has small box trucks or R/V's. I have seen one with a wrecker bed. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yes they ware 1ton it regard to being able to carry 1 ton, not like a Detriot one ton

Reply to
TheSnoMan