Leaking Intake Gaskets - Need Advice

'98 Z71 w/5.7, 78k miles, looks like the intake gaskets are starting to leak... (from reading some of the other forums, it seems GM's got a problem with this intake manifold) Anyone had any luck getting the dealership
correct the problem?
If I'm going to take the time to change them, I want to install the best available, what's the best brand out there to buy?
Thanks
Home wrote:

You would be fortunate if you could get goodwill on this vehicle. I've never seen it yet on a 5.7 intake gasket. And never on a 7 year old vehicle.

Get the GM one. They have an updated gasket with metal inserts in it and a revised torque.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

They do on the V6 but not the V8 unless they changed it in last few months. I would try a FelPro myself
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Why the FelPro gasket over the updated GM gasket? Have they made better improvements to it? If yes what's better?
Thanks Brian

Steel core instead of plastic, laminated rubber over the core instead of rubber inserts. But you have to request the right part number, Fel-Pro also makes replacement gaskets that look just like the OEMs. The part number for the VIN "R" 5.7 is MS98000T Includes 2 lower manifold gaskets, 1 valve cover gasket, 1 upper plenum gasket, 1 throttle body gasket, 2 fuel line o-rings, 1 distributor base gasket, 1 small tube of RTV. Price: $55.00 wholesale, $80 (ish) retail
Also available for the VIN W&X 4.3, VIN M 3.1, VIN E&J 3.4
- been using the MS98000T for about 6 months now, no failures but it's probably too soon to tell.
TheSnoMan wrote:

Ah yes....I wouldn't know, would I? I only work on them every day in a dealership.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

When I hand mine changed this spring under warranty, I asked them about it directly and looked at them too and there was no change on the ones for my 2000 5.7. You may work on them daily but I still do not have much faith in some of their gaskets. They pulled the tcase twice to stop a oil leak between tranny and Tcase on same seal.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Just replace gasket. GM has had a lot of trouble with them.
Home wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Having owned vehicles manufactured by Honda and Toyota as well as those manufactured buy all current American manufacturers, I can say without reservation that the best vehicle I have ever owned (reliability wise) was and is a Chevrolet. One of the most problematic vehicles I have ever owned was a Honda Civic.
I wish your words were more true for my Tacoma can't pull a load like a Ford or Chevy. Another big block gas or diesel is in my future, and I am undecided on brand other than 3/4 ton and less than $35k

Just wait until Toyota come out with a true 3/4 ton truck, it will likely give detriot models a very hard time.
Alex wrote:

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
TheSnoMan wrote:

    Toyota has made a Compact 1 Ton, with dual rear wheels for over 2 decades. Mostly seen here in America has small box trucks or R/V's. I have seen one with a wrecker bed. Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

Yes they ware 1ton it regard to being able to carry 1 ton, not like a Detriot one ton
--

www.thesnoman.com
Alex wrote:

If your vehicle was a pre-Vortec model.....it was a different gasket, different problem.
Ian