leaking oil filter adaptor

Page 1 of 2
Looks like the oil filter adaptor is leaking on my truck. Looks easy enough to fix, if I could find the parts, but haven't had any luck. Is this 'O'
ring/gasket a dealer-only item?
1991 K-1500 350
Thanks
Try Napa?

-
Shep wrote:

Yep. No luck.

We did my kid's blazer with the dealer parts.. was about $80 with adapter plate, hoses, seals, etc.... The "O" rings should be pretty common size/type... you need to take one in to a parts place... I think my kid found a set at Kragens.. (checker, whatever) If he still had the truck, I'd do it with better hoses and fittings made up by a machine shop next time... YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Appreciate the info.
I purchased the o-ring gasket kit from advance auto for 0.99.It came with 4 small o-rings and (1 large o-ring and a small flat gasket that goes inside the mount to block.If I didn't have the kit I would not have known about the flat gasket because the orginal was almost destroyed.Just thought you would like to know.Bobby
Thanks
bobby swift wrote:

I replaced the gaskets at the block, and took the aluminum lines out. Cut the swedged portion off, used a 37 degree singleflare tool and went with AN -8 fittings and stainless braided hoses.
Entire setup cost me just shy of $100-- but I had to buy the 37deg flare tool <$30> which I needed anyway. So for the price of the replacement OEM parts <which WILL fail again> I made it more durable, and next time it fails <much longer time than stock-- I'm going to keep this truck a while> I can repair it for $15 worth of hose.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Interesting. But, mine has lasted about 15 years and 180,000 miles. I doubt I'll have it long enough to see it fail a second time.
However, I am going to print out what you did, and stick it my notes, just in case.
Thanks.
The first time I had mine done ($195 labor and parts, ick) they replaced it with a redesigned model. The hoses are fine, but the gasket to the block is where it's leaking now.
Leaves a puddle about 5" round every time I park it.
LS

enough
That's where I had to get mine. Around $10 I think. Napa had no idea what I was talking about.
2 bolts, pull adapter, removed died out o-ring, cleaned recess, installed new o-ring and remount adapter. No problems since. Drove almost 1000 miles next day to Indiana.
Dirty White Boy wrote:

Thanks for the step-by-step. Right in line with what I was seeing.
Was there enough clearance to get to it or did you have to remove the engine mount and jack up the motor? I can barely get my hands up to it.
LS

Taking the front wheel off helped us a lot.. pulled up the mud guard/inner fender and taped it out of the way..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
My inner fender guard fell of a while back so I have a direct view from the side and the adapter is nowhere to be seen. It is so hidden back in there I'm not sure how to get to it, let alone get a wrench on it.
LS

Just crawled under my 91 S-10 4X4 and it's oozing just a bit..Gonna need to pull off the torque convertor cover and perhaps the transfer shaft (?) also to get access to it...Ken
Do think we can pull the motor mount bolt and jack the motor enough to get access to it?
LS

I did just that on my '91. Of course, I also have a 3" body lift so I did most of the work from the side...
Changed the remote hoses a few weeks ago (one was starting to leak) and yep, I pulled the thru bolt and raised the motor a bit. made it a lot easier
The newer blazers (93's+) have an additional support rod near the mount, perfectly situated to get in the way of everything
AND now I see that the adapter O-ring is leaking..DUH! should have changed it too
I got it done. Had to remove the front drive shaft, remove the bell housing. Since the tranny lines were in the way, I removed the starter so I could slide the housing to the side and out of the way.
The o-ring was a flat round rubber gasket. The new one was three times as thick and round. The paper gasket disintegrated once I touched it. Put it all back and looks good so far. Took 5 hours.
LS