Leer cap repair

I just bought a 1995 Silverado Z71 Extended Cab with matching Leer cap and the pneumatic arms that hold the glass door up on the back of the cap are worn out and I need to replace them.I went to the Leer website and all I got was directions to a dealer 2 hours away and they are not open weekends.Also done a google with no luck.Anyone know a place to order parts and installation instructions on the web or should I just bite the bullet and miss a days pay.Also the tailgate opened hard so I sprayed wd-40 into the tailgate and into the handle and it works great now.Is there anything else I should do to keep the tailgate working good.I live in the Maine woods so salt and rust are a big problem.Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply to
benick

I wouldn't think they are anything special (though I could be wrong.) Have you tried the local auto parts store. They usually have a selection of these. Length is the most important thing. Take one off and show it to the guy at the counter. They should just be held on by pins on each end. That's how the ones on the Leonard cap I own are anyways...

appreciated.

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil

You can get those arms anywhere, they just can't look them up in the computer. When the store asks what vehicle just tell them they are for a cap and when I did they let me go behind the counter and look for matching ones for mine.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
benick

Forget the WD-40, take a look at

use some of this and your tail gate will work like new, always.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

WD40 will work until the first rain washes it away. Look for a lubricant that you would normally use on door hinges and such.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

you can buy those struts at any good automotive store. aftermarket type. old john

appreciated.

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to