left headlight only works when beams are set to high

I have a í93 Chevrolet Blazer. After all these years Iím just now becoming interested in all things related to vehicle upkeep and maintenance and troubleshooting. When I set the beams to high, both
headlights work. When I dim them, only the right headlight works. I just bought a new set of headlights tonight, and am having the same problem as before. What could this be? I read somewhere that the dim switch can go bad or have a bad connection, but I canít figure out how to get the dim switch assembly removed from the steering column. The only thing Iíve been able to figure out so far (itís 1:30AM and itís 25 degrees or so outside...brrrrr...) is how to remove the plastic covering from around the steering column lever (the one that lowers and raises the steering wheel). I donít know what to do next. Also, Iím not sure if this is all related or not, but the only thing that works on the digital dashboard is the speedometer (which is off by 2-3mph) and an ABS light that constantly stays on. The odometer works intermittently (with lots of flickering), otherwise itís replaced by some "Error" message. Iíve not been able to figure out where the wiring is located for the dashboard, and all the wiring underneat the steering column and the fuse box is hanging loose. This is the only vehicle we have, we canít afford to lose this buggar.
‚úĖ
befroe you start taking things apart, clean the contacts on the connector that goes to the light its self. Thats usually where the problem is. if its in realy bad shape just replace the connector. Wire cutters and electrical tape . good luck

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-left-headlight-works-beams-set-high-ftopict100959.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pF5126
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
in regards to the digidash, go on ebay and type in Digital Dash board in thier search engine. the problem is not in the wiring that goes to the dash, its in the circuit board of the dash itself (been there done that) it will cost you about 150 to replace the the board or about 50 in parts to fix it your self.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-left-headlight-works-beams-set-high-ftopict100959.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pF5126
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
First, its not your dimmer switch. It does change from low to high beam. The problem is with your left headlight. The plug on the back of the headlight has three wires. A ground, high beam, and low beam. Your truck is getting old. Check for a poor connection at the plug, or a broken wire. Your dimmer switch is not inside your steering column. Its near the bottom of the column (inside the truck) and is operated by a rod from the turn signal lever. Its possible to have a poor connection at the switch but your problem is more likely at the back of the headlight itself. If you can't find it, I would suggest that you might need a mechanic.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-left-headlight-works-beams-set-high-ftopict100959.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pF5126
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Sounds like the melting plug problem in my 90 GMC f/s Jimmy. Did the plugs look OK?
GMC Gremlin

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-left-headlight-works-beams-set-high-ftop ict100959.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pF5126
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

A broken ground wire on the headlamp affected could cause the problem as well. Whitelightning
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"Whitelightning" wrote:
> > > Sounds like the melting plug problem in my 90 GMC f/s Jimmy. > Did the plugs > > look OK? > > > > GMC Gremlin > > > A broken ground wire on the headlamp affected could cause the > problem as > well. > Whitelightning
I went over to Ebay and typed in both of the following strings in their search engine, and only got back one result. Something about a Corvette circuit board.
Digital Dash board digital dash board
When my wife gets home Iíll pull out that headlamp and clean off the plugís prongs. Anybody know where I can get a Chiltonís (or maybe Haynes, because I read somewhere that they were better than Chiltonís) manual for a í93 Chevrolet Blazer? Iíd like a manual that has the full wiring schematic of the vehicle, and another manual that has goes into full detail about how everything else to do with that vehicle: engine, chassis, body, interior, stereo system, etc.
As soon as we can get another vehicle, this is going to be my toy for awhile
‚úĖ

from frame rail to radiator support. Run a jumper from engine block [ head ] to firewall . This simple trick could save you a bundle in fried electronics, as well as possibly fixing the problem. Use a test light to check for voltage, be sure test light is well grounded, and lights at at least one plug terminal.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ