Lesson learned on intakes.

I own a '97 Suburban with 5.7 engine. Developed a slight leak of water at intake. Removed intake and replaced intake gasket. I did not disassemble upper intake from lower. When I cranked the engine after doing work I had a bad knocking noise. Noise went away after a few minutes, but a slight tapping noise remained. I decided to go ahead and pull engine and have it rebuilt. I found the remains of a steel roll pin in the intake ( I took it apart this time), and the machine shop found the damage to number 8 cylinder. I did not remove any pins nor did my tools lose any pins, so I figure the pin was in the intake when I removed it. When I turned the intake upside down to clean the gasket surface the pin moved and when I cranked the engine the pin went down to visit #8, but #8 did not like it. It spit the pin back into the intake in pieces. The machine shop gave me the piston for a souvenier. The pin made some really neat marks on it. I am going to use it for a paper weight on my desk.

Just a little advise to those who own these engines. When you pull the intake (and you will eventually), take the time to remove upper intake and clean lower well. You never know what the previous mechanic might have left in there.

Robbie.

Reply to
Robbie