Lift Kits for 95 4X4

We just got a 95 Chev 4 X 4 and woud like some info on lift kits. The body lifts seem hokey and the suspension kits expensive. Has anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with any lift kits? We were thinking
about a 4 inch lift. My wife likes the look of the lifted truck. What are good brands and what should I expect to pay? Is this something should be done professionally or just the final alignmnent? I am a pretty fair backyard mechanic and lots of tools. Any special tools that might be needed. Thanks in advance. Bill