limited slip diff Q

I have always been told and been under the impression that if you had an open rear end in your truck and you had the rear wheels off the ground if you spin a
tire by hand the other will turn in an opposite direction. If you had a posi or limited slip of some kind both tires would turn in the same direction. Is this true?? I tested it with my Tj with trac loc and sure enough both turn the same way, open the rear to change fluid clutches ok In the 99 tahoe the tires turn opposite.... Ihave my window sticker I paid for limited slip. Open the cover to change fluid... see clutch packs, looks like a posi. There is no tag for modifier or anything on the cover, I am the origional owner. Is it wrong about the tire rotation, or am I missing something?? any ideas?? advice Thanks all
__________________ Tony V 98 Tahoe Sport z71 03 Wrangler lifted
On 13 Feb 2004 06:40:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rokihora) wrote:

There is a difference between a limited slip and a locker rear. Maybe you have the locker. What is the code in your glove compartment say? Others can comment on this who know more about it. I checked my locker on ice and it definately locks up when one wheel starts spinning. MR
Its a locker, but they advertise it as a limited slip. Some say it can grenade if abused. You have to spin one wheel fast to activate the cam that locks it. Can be done by hand.
Cheers

"Rokihora" wrote

for
No, you aren't missing anything, other then that the Eaton locker in your truck doesn't have the same kind of preload on the clutch packs as the one in your Jeep probably has. The Eaton locker applies when you have enough of a difference in wheel speed to force the governer mechanism to ramp up the pressure on the clutch packs. So if you turn the rear wheels slowly on your truck, it will act like an open diff. If you turn them a little faster, you will feel the clutches engage.
Ian
that is the g80 code then I take it. Ian you are a weath of knowledge, I appreciate you answering my questions. I cannot reply to your email, would you email me off newsgroup. Thank you Tony