locked front drive shaft

Page 2 of 2

Ian,
If it's in 4 wheel drive will it "crab" if you turn the wheels on pavement or is the t-case like the old Jeep Eagle? I'm assuming the front axle never disengages if the t-case supplies power in 2 Hi. Or does it?
I admit I'm not up on this system. How close is it to what's in a Hummer? And if you would, how does a Hummer lock the rear differential?
Al
Big Al wrote:

No, because when the t/case is in 2hi, the clutch pack is applying approx 5% torque to the front driveshaft, but the front axle is disengaged. So you will not feel the crowhopping. Actually, you won't feel the crowhopping even if the front axle is engaged, because that is exactly what happens when you select Auto4hi. Now the front diff engaged, but the clutch pack is not engaged "enough" so that it slips and allows different shaft speeds...front to rear. As soon as the t/case module "see's" shaft speeds that are too far apart, it begins to apply the clutch to bring the speeds back together. The tcase has 3 speed sensors, two on the rear shaft, one on the front shaft. A scan tool is very useful for diagnosis as you can see whether the t/case is slipping or not.
When you enter 4hi, the clutch pack is completely engaged and the t/case behaves like an old style t/case.

I'm not up on the Hummer either, so I can't comment. The full size Hummer is a different beast all together....the fake one is nothing more then a GM truck with square body on it. That one probably has the exact same t/case. Rear end locking, not up on that on a Hummer.
Ian