Looking To Move From 98 Burb To Newer Burb

My '98 (first and probably the last vehicle I've ever bought new) is rusting through at the roof rack connections and it's got about 180k on it.
Also, after a bad tow wiped out the front diff and the subsequent
repair it just doesn't sound/feel right up there - not to mention the filler plug on the torque converter being rounded off by somebody somewhere along the line...
I'm thinking that used 'Burbs sb pretty reasonable - maybe even more so when gas goes up close to $4.00/gallon.
But it seems like Suburbans have been gradually gentrified... the new ones even look like they have plastic bumpers.
My use consists of periodic beach use. Always have a large rooftop cargo container full of windsurfing stuff. Carry windsurfers, kayaks, surf skis as well on a regular basis.
Is there a sweet spot year-wise - where the functionality is largely intact? Or are the newer ones (say 2007+) just as functional as my '98?
--
PeteCresswell

Depends what you define as functional. The new body will not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back like the last two or three gens will. I owned a '94 K1500 Silverado and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. Had it for 10 years and over 200,000 miles. Still going strong when I sold it to get my '04 Z71 Avalanche. Seriously looked at the '04 Suburban Z71 as well but got a better deal on the Avalanche. In hindsight the Suburban would have been better in quite a few situations. Nothing swallow cargo or carries stuff like it does. The new series is less of an off-road vehicle as well. They're been "gentrified".
Augustus wrote:

The Suburbans were already "gentrified" in '98, and indeed prior to that. I went looking for one in '97 and was so disgusted with them I got a K3500 DRW instead.

True...but the newer body model takes it to a new level of non-truckness. The previous ones had way better off road and carrying ability and were essentially the same chassis as the 1/2 ton K1500 with lots of creature comforts. My ')4 Z71 Avalanche is quite a good off road vehicle compared to my '94 Z71 Suburban.
Per Augustus:

What is the first year of the newer body model?
--
PeteCresswell

Was it the same year they dropped the 2dr? 99?
cheers

2007 for the current incarnation.....
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:40:46 GMT, Augustus wrote:

I think it was about 05 when they changed it so you can't get 4x8 plywood/drywall inside the vehicle with the back door shut. I also do not like the 00 and newer rear doors. A liftback is not as practical as a tailgate. For me, that ruined the vehicle completely as a utility vehicle. If I have to go newer it will have to be an Avalanche, but that ruins my passenger capacity. I like my 99.
Michael Dobony wrote:

I love the lift back on my Blazer. Wish a few other vehicles had them. But I'm a bit biased. I like it because it works GREAT when you get stuck directing traffic at a scene and it starts raining/snowing. Also works nice with the rehab tent we have. You can set up the tent, flip up the gate and have a nice place to set up the coffee pot and snacks.
--
Steve W.

I'd rather have the liftgate. I've got split doors on my Yuk and no rear wiper sucks in snow and dirty road season. I use my trailer for the long stuff or let it hang out for short trips.
I upgraded my 94 Burb to an 05 when the military moved me back from Japan where I couldn't bring a US car. The 05 is much more reliable and confortable but I do miss the old tailgate. 100K miles and 16.0 MPG average much of it highway miles at 80MPH and no oil consumption. Used Walmart synthetic every 3K miles. Only failures have been an oil seal on the right front output shaft, a battery, and a couple of DRL bulbs.
The new Burbs look sweet but less trucklike and I don't like the silver plastic interiors of most new models.
Hope you find what you're looking for.
Regards,
Bubba
--- ---