Loose ball joint

OK, here's another 1997 Chevy Blazer question for ya. Just got done putting some new rubber on and was going to get it aligned, too. But, the mechanic
said that both ball joints are loose and must be replaced along with the idler arm before it can be aligned. To a tune of $250.00. I'm getting a second opinion on this.
Anyways, he also said this has been know to be a problem with Chevy Blazers. Anyone else here of this one?
Thanks again!
I was told that, in reality, the allowable ball-joint play is a lot more loose than most other vehicles. I was told by a GM dealer that the ball-joints on my 94 Jimmy were in need of replacing. I took the truck to a shop I trust and they said all was good, at over 100K miles. Worst-case, find the spec, see if you can get a micrometer to measure the play and do it yourself...

Allowable play is 1/4 inch:
But, if you align it with that loose ball joint, the angle never stays true. It will always change because the ball joints are loose and will have some sideward play.
Refinish King

Joel wrote:

These have a lot of play even when they are brand new. Definitely get a second opinion, as lot's of techs are busy replacing ball joints that do not need to be replaced.
Ian