Loose steering column

I have an 88 Chev K1500 that was stolen a couple of years ago. The wonderful thief smashed the steering column to wander away with the truck. I had it rebuilt and now the column is loose, not at the steering wheel,
but at the shift lever..moves up and down. How do I tighten it up?? Thanks
blueharley wrote:

It has to be dis-assembled quite a ways down the column so that you can tighten 4 bolts that hold the tilt section to the bottom of the column. Not a hard job if you have done them before. You could probably google for "loose tilt column" and come up with some pictorials showing you how to do it.
Ian
That column isnt loose because of ur friendly theif, it is loose becuase someone uses it as a pull bar to get their fatass in or out of the truck, I've seen this happen hundreds of times.
To fix it you have to remove the steering wheel and tighten the three star bolts.

Adam Frazier wrote:

    Not all lose tilt bowls are due to people using the steering wheel as a entry assist handle. Truck Especially are prone to Vibration losing the bolts, especially in a "rebuilt" column. Most Rebuilders do not bother checking the Torque on the bolts.
    As for calling them "Star" bolts, that would be TORX Bolts. The Driver sizes start with the letter "T". For Example T-25. Inverted Torx (rasied 6 point head) Start with the letter "E". For Example E-8. Charles
blueharley wrote:

    Probably what happened, is the rebuilder did not torque the bolts to Specs. Over time they will vibrate and back out.
    If you are un-comfertible tearing in to a steering column, Any Compitent professional can repair this for you in around a hour.
    If you wish to try it your self: Go to a libray and check out, or photo copy the factory service manual (if coping, just the pertant section). You can "rent" the tools from AutoZone to do the job. You will need: A Steering wheel puller(Some are multi-purpous Steering Wheel & Ballancer Pullers), A GM Lock Plate Compressior, a pair of Snap Ring Pliers, a 1/4 (quarter) Drive Socket Set in metric (possibly also a 7/32, a 9/32 & 1/4 sockets) as well as Torx bits between T-10 up to T-20.
Charles
Thanks Charles,
Good info. I have most of the tools, but will have to get the lock plate compressor and when I can find the time to do it. Am compitent in doing the fix, for having been an aircraft mechanic for the last 33 years.
Again Thanks Brad