lost power stering and brakes

i have a 2002 chevy 2500 silverado alison/duramax. Last night lost both power stering and power brakes at the same time. what went wrong. Anyone?

They both function fron the P/S pump. Fluid full, belt on, take a look!

Belt is on. pulleys are turning. has fluid. I am reading on TheDieselPage that it is most lightly the Hydroboost unit. Aparently GM is aware that they are junk. Thanks for geting back to me.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Junk? Not likely. The HydroBoost system has only been around since the early 50's.
I'm betting your pump has failed. Pull the belt off and see if the shaft is still in one piece. If it was the Hydro Boost unit you would have lost the power brakes only.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

O.K. I will check for sure.
On Jan 1, 1:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

..
I loosened up the belt. the pulley for the PS will come forward about 11/2" I might have being able to take it out compleatly, the shaft seems to be coming out with the pully. does this mean the shaft is broken and I need a new pump.
Yes, the shaft is broken most likely.

I loosened up the belt. the pulley for the PS will come forward about 11/2" I might have being able to take it out compleatly, the shaft seems to be coming out with the pully. does this mean the shaft is broken and I need a new pump.

Yup, Either the shaft has broken or the pump assembly inside has come apart. That shaft should only move about 1/16" at most. You need a new pump.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Belt is on. pulleys are turning. has fluid. I am reading on TheDieselPage that it is most lightly the Hydroboost unit. Aparently GM is aware that they are junk. Thanks for geting back to me.
Hydro's are probably the best brake system ever designed for this size truck.
I'm guessing you got away without cracking up yourself or your truck. That's always good to hear. Good luck. Andrew.
On 1/1/08 1:21 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com,