Loud noise when shifting sometimes

As kind of a side note to my post in The "Trans fluid flush or drain?" thread, I've noticed some strange behavior in my 96 K1500 Tahoe 4Dr since after I changed the front brake pads. When shifting between reverse and drive, there is sometimes (about 1/4 of the time, mostly when turning) a loud "clunk" or "clang" type sound. It started within the very next days or week of putting on the new pads. My beefy bottle jack died on me when changing the pads and I had to borrow a friend's cheesy 2-ton floor jack that I had to put boards on top of to get high enough to lift the vehicle. Anyway, after the wheels were on and pre-tightened in the air, the boards finally gave way and the truck kinda fell the last couple inches to the ground, but without the boards I didn't have enough height to make sure the lugs were tightened all the way when the tire was just barely touching the ground, so I had to tighten them the rest of the way while fully on the ground. This is jsut on the front passenger side wheel. The drivers side was fine.

So is it possible this clunk is just the wheel shifting on a thread that didn't get tightened properly? or could I have screwed something up with the brakes? or is it possibly as I fear and the transmission very coincidentally started having problems at the sme time, but not consistently? The truck doesn't have any wobbles or anything when driving, it feels normal, it also brakes better than it ever has since I've owned it too.

With an already paid trip to Chicago and the Iowa Hawkeyes football game this weekend, I don't have any spare money to get a new jack or pay anybody to look at it until next paycheck. So if there's anything I can do myself, please let me know. Thanks

Reply to
Brandon Buckner
.

Loud noise when shifting sometimes Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:18am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon=A0Buckner) As kind of a side note to my post in The "Trans fluid flush or drain?" thread, I've noticed some strange behavior in my 96 K1500 Tahoe 4Dr since after I changed the front brake pads. When shifting between reverse and drive, there is sometimes (about 1/4 of the time, mostly when turning) a loud "clunk" or "clang" type sound. It started within the very next days or week of putting on the new pads. My beefy bottle jack died on me when changing the pads and I had to borrow a friend's cheesy 2-ton floor jack that I had to put boards on top of to get high enough to lift the vehicle. Anyway, after the wheels were on and pre-tightened in the air, the boards finally gave way and the truck kinda fell the last couple inches to the ground, but without the boards I didn't have enough height to make sure the lugs were tightened all the way when the tire was just barely touching the ground, so I had to tighten them the rest of the way while fully on the ground. This is jsut on the front passenger side wheel. The drivers side was fine.

So is it possible this clunk is just the wheel shifting on a thread that didn't get tightened properly?

or............. could I have screwed something up with the brakes?

or........ is it possibly as I fear and the transmission very coincidentally started having problems at the sme time, but not consistently?

The truck doesn't have any wobbles or anything when driving, it feels normal, it also brakes better than it ever has since I've owned it too. With an already paid trip to Chicago and the Iowa Hawkeyes football game this weekend, I don't have any spare money to get a new jack or pay anybody to look at it until next paycheck. So if there's anything I can do myself, please let me know.

Thanks ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there's nothing you can do

YOUR BROKE

respectfully submitted, Scrib Abell ~~would have answered your questions...but to no avail...because......

YOUR BROKE ~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

You could take the truck to a Midas for a free brake inspection. They will put it on their lift and remove and reinstall the tires. You may want to ask them to hand tighten the lugs though.

Reply to
Wendy

So every check/diag/procedure or anything possible to do with a vehicle requires money? Bullshit.

If there's something that I can look at or check something I may have missed, thats totally different. I have the tools, just at the moment not my jack that was strong enough and could go tall enough to lift this vehicle. I'm even up for suggestions such as Wendy posted.

Thanks for helping.

Brandonb

Scribb Abell wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you thinking it IS in fact the brakes and not the tranny then? or just as a precaution to eliminate the brakes from the troubleshooting method?

Brandonb

Wendy wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

get a jack.....then we'll talk...top poster.

scrib ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~absurb answers to absurb questions~~ ~~~~~By Scrib Abell~~~~~ snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon=A0NoBucks) asks Scrib.......

So every check/diag/procedure or anything possible to do with a vehicle requires money?

~~no~~

Bullshit.

~~screw you~~

If there's something that I can look at or check something I may have missed, thats totally different.

~~start with the parts you worked on before~~ ~~the knoise showed up.............................~~ ~~...oh......YOU DON'T OWN A JACK?~~~ ~~~ AND YOU'RE BROKE !! ~~~~~~~~

I have the tools, just at the moment not my jack

~~then you don't own the tools ........do yuh?~~

that was strong enough and could go tall enough to lift this vehicle.

~~evidently not. cuz you said that it took a~~ ~~shit on yuh, right in the middle of the job~~ ~~scroll down....look....go ahead.............~~ ~~they're your words not mine................~~

I'm even up for suggestions such as Wendy posted.

~~oh..........you want someone to tell you to~~ ~~ go waste a techs time diagnosing things~~ ~~you can't fix...................cuz..................~~ ~~~~Y O U R B R O K E !!!!!~~~~~~

Thanks for helping.

~~your welcome......no prob......don't sweat it.... any time.......call me if you need more...... night or day..........24 hours........

BUT DON'T WASTE MY TIME IF YOUR FREEK'N BROKE AND DON'T OWN A JACK

Brandonb ~~needs to jack his truck up ......but he don't own a jack......and........HE'S BROKE!!!~~~

(enjoy that ball game now......yuh he uh)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D (original post....start of thread) (scribs reply is inline) Loud noise when shifting sometimes Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:18am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (Brandon=A0NoBucks)wrote in.......

[...]

Scribb Abell wrote: there's nothing you can do

YOUR BROKE

respectfully submitted, Scrib Abell ~~would have answered your questions...but to no avail...because...... YOUR BROKE ~~

and you don't own a jack

Reply to
Scribb Abell

OMG! You top posted too!

Hypocrite. The ridiculous thing is that you make a big deal of top posting when you violate almost every other rule of netiquette known to mankind.

Brandonb

-Rest inline

Scribb Abell wrote:

By an absurd poster.

Back at ya.

We've been over this already. My jack broke. The seal gave out and all the fluid drained. Hydraulic jacks don't work very well without it.

See above.

I found out the seal gave out when I started to raise the jack. It didn't even have the vehicle on it yet. I know quite well what I said, thank you.

Obviously you have reading comprehension problems.

Reply to
Brandon Buckner