Low Oil Pressure

Hello all

Today is Monday the 30th (for time reference)

My 91 Sierra 5.7L has 156,000 miles on it, the oil pressure gauge on the dash has been on the low side for obvious reasons. It has never gone into the red zone just a couple of notches on the gauge before the red zone, after using 5W-30, its low I know. I had a slight oil leak at the rear seal which has been there for quite a while. I asked my mechanic to check the oil pressure which he did, he said he would put in 40 or 50 weight oil. This was done on Friday the 27th.

That same afternoon I left his shop to pick my wife up at work, round trip at most, 12 miles. I go start the truck on Saturday morning and notice more oil leaking out of it than ever. I let the truck sit on Saturday and Sunday. This morning, Monday, more oil was leaking onto the driveway. After a heated exchange in his shop he sent a tow truck to pick it up, I was not about to drive it anywhere.

My question is, can the heavier weight oil blow out whatever pressure sealing I had left in the engine.

Pindar

Reply to
Pindar/King

Maybe he didn't get the filter or drainplug tight.

Hairy

I doubt that it was a direct result of the heavier weight oil. Heavier oil generally retards the leaking slightly. But if the rear seal was already leaking you really can't blame the garage if it is leaking more now. His reasoning was sound, usually heavier oil helps.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

a front or rear seal leak shouldn't cause low oil pressure, unless you don't have hardly any oil left in the pan.

A neighbor got a used Ford Ranger with 100K on it..within a month the oil pressure was getting real low..he changed the oil to a different grade.....I hooked a pressure meter to it..barely had 10 psi....then the lifters started making a LOT of racket..engine was worn out

Reply to
ken

If your engine is not holding oil pressure,then heavier weight oil will do nothing. How much oil do you add?

Reply to
Bill

Every time my engine stops dripping I add a couple quarts from the old oil my father changed out of his truck.

GMC Gremlin

GMC Gremlin