Main bearing questn: Is partial oil hole blockage OK

Hi:

I'm rebuilding a 1991 2.5 Liter (151 cu. in) Chevy engine with an "A" type code/ engine.

The new main bearings I bought have the oil hole misaligned with the actual oil supply hole completely. However, the (upper) bearings have about a 1/8 inch wide oil channel/groove cut out in the center which exposes some of the block's oil gallery feed hole. This cutout channel is about an inch or more long in the upper bearing(s) and is centered. It does allow some oil flow but it seems like it might be restricted somewhat

Does anybody know if this 1/8" wide (or so) bearing groove / gap will be sufficient to oil the bearing under all conditions or should I stop and get perfectly aligned bearing hole bearings (i.e. the "correct ones")? I'm leaning towards getting a different bearing set (if possible). I've considered using the old ones but they are looking a little rough and etched a little (though not too bad).

It is possible the supplier confused the "E" type engine with the "A" type since specs for the "A" type are hard to come by (and just maybe the supplier was just "winging it" thinking the specs were the same for both engines (E vs A)).

Thanks in advance for any useful responses.

Ski

Reply to
Ski10000

It all depends on how long you want your hard work to last.

Stop, get the right bearings. You'll be happy you did. That channel won't supply enough oil to the bearing surface.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Thanks for the input.

I think you are right and have done so.

I was in a hurry to finish this engine rebuild and didn't want to lose any time. But in this case it is probably a big mistake to proceed without the exact and proper bearing (with the oil hole properly lined up)

Ski

Reply to
Ski