mechanic ruined my engine should i pay the balance?

My 1996 Blazer blew a head gasket. I took it to a reliable mechanic that had the heads shaved and replaced the gaskets. When my truck was completed it ran nicely for two days, then developed a ticking in the engine. I brought the blazer back to the mechanic and he said it was a bad lifter, he order new lifters, replaced them, but still I have a ticking in my engine. He told me that a rod bearing was shot and I would need to replace the entire engine.

He did not replace the oil before starting the engine for the first time. He told me to change the oil and that would stop it from ticking. I brought it to a quick oil change shop and they would not touch it.

I did numerous hours researching my 4.3 vortec engine and I read that the engine oil must be replace before starting it for the first time. I messaged the mechanic who worked on my truck and he responded "do you think this is the first f*cking engine I have worked on" I was beside myself and responded "see you in court".

He believes I owe him 400.00 remaining on the labor, but I believe he should replace my entire engine. I am desperate for an answer to my question.

The mechanic was a back yard mechanic with 20 years experience restoring engines, do I pay him the balance or not?

Reply to
cheri72

If you have PROOF of the work he did and what he didn't do, take him to court.

The questions that will be asked will include: How long did you drive it prior to the repair? What do you have on paper as to what was done? Was any warranty written down? Was a price agreed to in writing? What was done? What didn't get done?

The problem is that if coolant was in the oil prior to the repair, and you drove it that way, there is no way to pinpoint if the damage was already done or not.

Reply to
Steve W.

How many miles on that 96? My experience, rebuild just the top end, the bottom will fail. Rebuild the bottom, the top will fail on an older motor.

Replace it, and be done with it, if you want to keep it.

Reply to
bilb2765