misfire #2

Well, my good luck is finally ending. I have a 99 silverado, 4x4, 5.3, auto, with 160k miles. My ses light came on and the truck has a noticable miss. I went to autozone and it has a code for lean mixture, bank 2, and a code for misfire cylinder 2. How can I tell if its the injector, the coil, plug wire, or the plug itself? Also, the light blinks but not all the time. It doesn't appear to be blinking at a set interval either. I thought that the light would be on and just stay on. This truck has never given me any problems and even still has the original fuel pump! I suppose its about time that something had to break.

Reply to
George

You could do a few things to check the miss out. It probably will be either the plug, wire or coil but don't forget it could be a injecter also. A cheap way about going about this would to just switch everything from cylinder 2 to another one and see if the code changes to that cylinder. I would just put new plugs and wires on at this point and see what happens.(if there OE its way over due anyways) Your other problem will take a bit more time to figure out but I can help you with that if you want.

Reply to
scrapir

Best of luck figuring this one out! I too have a '99, but with the 5.7L. It will throw a P0304 like clock work on a long strain on a hill and only at highway speeds. It will miss like mad until you get off the gas, let it settle down and then it is fine. It never messes up in normal driving, etc. I've replaced the plugs, wires, distributor and injector. The injector was done when the intake gaskets were redone! The problem is still there. I don't tow anything with it and just expect it to happen when on the highway on long hills. I'll watch the thread to see what you come up with!

Reply to
Kevin

The 5.7 has the injectors inside the upper intake and I don't think you can just replace one of them. Its has all of them together I believe. Did you ever to a compression test on it yet?

Reply to
scrapir

I had a reputable shop replace the injector and there is a part number for the single injector. The engine runs perfectly except for on a long hill at

60+ MPH, when it may start missing. Like I typed, let off the gas for a few seconds, she'll settle down and carry on just fine from there. This may happen again on another long climb in the same trip, but maybe not! It's been doing this for the past 15-20K miles. Always the same code, P0304, and always the same way to get past it.
Reply to
Kevin

I'll look into it a bit next week. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Reply to
scrapir

Kevin did you get your truck fixed yet? If not email me I ran into something last week that might be your problem also.

Reply to
scrapir