Motor rebuild question:

Hi All...
This spring, we're gonna pull out my 1989, 5.7 ltr from the truck and rebuild it. Most likely, it'll need to be bored out. How will this effect the ECM. Will it be
able to adjust to the bigger bore on it's own? Or will I have to get the computer reprogrammed. If I do have to get it reprogrammed, who might have be able to do that, or are there chips already set up you could buy.
Thanks.
HDS
Being new to the GM things but knowing quite a bit of how the MOPAR's work I'd have to say unless you're going drastic don't worry about it. You're really not going to do much in the diplacement dept. if you're just "cleaning up" the bores. Larry

.030 overbore adds 5ci. Not enough to mess with the computer. While you have it apart, some minor head work and a mild cam would be appreciated by your truck and not a curse on your computer. Just remember, keep all the mods mild otherwise you WILL have drivability problems.

If you do decide to put a different cam, or other parts in there, be sure to talk to the manufacturer of the part(s) and get the correct part numbers for your application. Then call the dealers (Summit or Jeg's, etc.) and tell them what you're wanting to do and see if the numbers match.
The manufacturer knows more than the retailer, no matter what the retailer says. If you get a Crane cam, then call Crane, etc. Same for any other parts you put in this computer controlled truck and make sure the parts will all work together. Just some things to think about.
Snowman

"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

Hey Snow, did you ever get your project totally completed and running?
Rita
well, it was never perfect, but it wasn't bad. I made myself a set of adjustable injectors, like you had suggested, but when I posted back for help, no one offered anything up, so I took them back out. Put my custom EPROM back in and it wasn't too hateful.
I had forgotten how worthless a 350 really was to me until I towed a heavy load with it. Then I was, abruptly, reminded the reason I always told myself I would never have anything less than a big block (or diesel).
I needed a heavier chassis, so I bought a 1 ton with a 454 to do a chassis swap. Drove this a month or two and decided that after all the work was done, I still wasn't going to have what I really wanted. So, I sold both trucks and bought a '95 K2500 HD 6.5 TD. I made a time investment and found what it takes to waken this thing. Now, I've awakened this sleeping giant and it's a great torque monster. People who say the 6.5 TD doesn't have power just don't know Bill Heath.
Thanks for asking - long and drawn out explanation, I guess.
I am in contact, though, with the guy that bought my truck, as he flew to Ohio from Atlanta, GA to take mine back home, and they just love it!
Snowman