Mud Tires

I have always wanted to put nobby mud tires on my 4x4 4runner.I did and now I am told that with all the hiway driving I do they will ware out quickly...Should I rotate them about every 3 months? Or what? Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Strahan

With an agressive mud terrain, I'd be surprised if you could get 30k driving on pavement. I had an old Toyota Hilux with 33" Super Swampers (TSLs IIRC). At about 24k they were down to the tread wear indicators and this was a light truck in good alignment.

HTH

Reply to
genius

Do you run the truck in the mud? Or do you just like the looks of the knobbies on the truck? If you do play in the bog, buy an extra set of wheels for the Knobs and change them when you do. If you just like the appearance of the knobs, pay the freight. Rotating the knobbies MAY extend their life, but a good set of AT's will out perform any Mud tire on the street. Knobs on a wet road are downright dangerous. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Well I live in Louisiana and the only reason I bought them is.we get some very nasty ice storms ere and I respond to fire & EMS calls..I really only plan now to keep them on my truck through March after reading up and this group. Jerry

*SNIP*

Do you run the truck in the mud? Or do you just like the looks of the knobbies on the truck? If you do play in the bog, buy an extra set of wheels for the Knobs and change them when you do. If you just like the appearance of the knobs, pay the freight. Rotating the knobbies MAY extend their life, but a good set of AT's will out perform any Mud tire on the street. Knobs on a wet road are downright dangerous. Regards, =A0=A0=A0=A0JR

Reply to
Jerry Strahan

Mud tires will be inferior to all-season tires on ice. Nothing is good on ice. Studded snow tires would be the best, but are illegal in many states. On ice, you want tires that make the most contact with the road surface. Mud tires make about the least contact as any you could buy.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy