My clunker does not qualify???

If an S10 Blazer 1985 4x4 2.8 Blazer with 175k miles on it doesn't qualify..... what does???? Why does the gov. go by what kind of milage this thing got when it was new..... they know damn well I ain't gettin 19 miles a gallon in 2009........ what a scam

Reply to
don

Okay, I give up: qualify for what?

Reply to
Desertphile

They use the average mileage that it was rated for when new. If that number is over the number your vehicle is out of the running... They also have different classes of SUVs and Trucks.

Reply to
Steve W.

It would appear that either you are not in the USA; and/or near a TV or newspaper ....

try here;

Reed

I got an email from cars.gov saying that they will be updating the list and thanking me for pointing out their omission.

Reply to
don

Ah, thank you. (I live in the forest: no radio or TV--- just satellite internet).It looks like my old Toyota 1992 pickup might qualify, but who the hell in the USA has the money to buy a new car?! The "trade-in deal" is therefore utterly pointless.

Reply to
Desertphile

Who has the money to buy a new car? The folks that had the money without the program. You and I and everyone else are subsidizing people that could have afforded new iron before the yet another Obama giveaway program. What's next...new refrigerators?

Reply to
Autumn

The catch is the a LOT of the folks buying the new cars CANNOT actually afford them. Many of the dealers I have talked to say they are planning for a 50% repossession level after a few months. Sort of like the same problem that banks had when Clinton required banks to loan money to people who they knew couldn't pay it back.

Reply to
Steve W.

Forgot about that, Steve. You are right....unfortunately.

Cheers!

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

Idiot.

Reply to
Desertphile

He's an idiot for stating the truth?

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Sometimes the beloved market forces need a little help, a little priming of the pump to keep the $$ running uphill. About 65% of the cars purchased so far were foreign made. Capitalism and globalization joined at the hip, ain't it great? We'll, not for /everyone/.

Reply to
F.H.

Yeah, there should have been a "buy American" clause in the program.

Regardless, you'll also note that GM and Chrysler sales are down. Ford has maintained the primary share of domestic sales. That's a sad thing because most Fords are junk. I guess getting a government hand out and still not providing a more affordable product rubs people the wrong way.

Anyway, GM is run by a bunch of fools. How many times do you need to redesign a truck model in a ten year period? Frankly, I think the latest models are butt ugly. Well, GMC managed to not toke on the pipe too much with the body styling. Chevy's, blech. When the Avalanche model came out and was adopted as the new norm, I knew it was over...

Reply to
Nightcrawler

No, he is an idiot for writing what he did (see above).

Reply to
Desertphile

To reword his last sentence - what industry does the Obama administration feel needs stimulating next with the precious and scarce tax dollars of future generations (since this is all being done with debt), ignoring the fact that government manipulation policies are usually harmful and contraindicated to accomplish the stated goals of those introducing said policies, usually due to the occurrence of unintended consequences and the ignoring of well-known economic principles?

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart