mystery squeal

I'm driving a 2000 Chevy S-10 4x4 with the 4.3 that has 66,000 miles on it. a few weeks ago I started to hear a loud squeal that appears to be coming from the drivers side front tire. the squeal occurs erratically - never
below 45mph, usually when at cruising speed of 65mph, it comes and goes with no set pattern, I can drive long distances and not hear a thing (75 miles) and then hear it with in 5 miles of starting, does not change with brake application, does not change with shifting into neutral or engaging the 4wd system or with revving the engine. there is very little difference with speed - sounds the same at 45 mph as 75mph. the sound is very high pitched and sounds like a belt slipping - but doesn't change/start/stop when the AC pump engages. what I've done to the truck prior to the squeal starting. About 6 wks before the squeal I changed the Automatic transmission filter and fluid, I changed the front and rear differential fluid, I changed the transfer case fluid, I put on a new belt. last year I changed the universals on the driveshaft and replaced them with greasable ones. What I've done since the squeal started, pulled both front tires, inspected the CV joints, front brakes, regreased all fittings, inspected universals - greased them too, inspected all front suspension components. - everything looked good - also checked the front hubs for excessive heat after a 75 mile run - no excessive heat, shook tires to check for movement out of the front wheel bearings, and wrapped the drivers side tie rod adjuster with duck tape (heard some of them whistle). Running out of Ideas, I'm gonna check the rear brakes - though the sound is clearly from the drivers front, tires are a little worn - but not worn to the wear tabs on the tire, will change them this fall. Really pulling a blank here... any input at all from you guys will be appreciated...
--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],

I have had CV boots make a squeaking/squealing noise before...

it.
with
4wd
pitched
AC
fluid,
case
components. -

not
Shades wrote:

I was wondering about that, my sisters '99 Cavalier was squeaking, pads were worn but not to the indicator, so I replaced them but the squeaking persisted, especially after accelerating from a dead stop/low speed (which is why I thought they were the pads). How did you deal with squeaking CV boots?
--------------030804020006070408060604 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
shiden_kai wrote:

Hey I appreciate the reply, great info... I'll try the wheel cover first, it's only happening on one side so if it works I'll do it on all four. If not I'll try the CV joint method. You recommend any sort of silicone spray on the CV boots or just leave them be? thanks again
--------------030804020006070408060604 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
There were also problems with the plastic wheel covers squeaking against the steel rims on some of these Cavaliers. Again, the fix is to remove the wheel covers and you can just lube the outer rim of the steel wheel where it will contact the plastic wheel cover and "if" the noise was coming from that location....it will be gone.
--------------030804020006070408060604--
YES, there is! Its a rubber type squeak. It happens when the folds of the boot rub against each other... I have come across it very seldomly. It IS possible though, Shiden! Just because you have never come across something doesn't mean it isn't so! I am NOT trying to start a yelling match in the NG. A difference of opinion is no reason to have an argument and it is the reason so many of them have started on here.

"Shades" wrote

Ok...... if you say so.
Ian
dave
here's how gm does it
Inner Shaft Seal and Bearing Replacement Tools Required J 23907 Slide Hammer J 29369-1 Universal Bearing Remover J 8092 Driver Handle J 23911 Seal Installer J 42211 Bearing Installer Removal Procedure Remove the inner axle shaft. Refer to Inner Axle Housing Shaft and Housing Replacement . Hold the inner axle shaft housing in a vise by the carrier mounting flange. Remove the inner axle shaft seal using a suitable seal remover.
Remove the inner axle shaft bearing using the J 29369-1 and the J 23907 . Installation Procedure Place the inner axle shaft housing to carrier flange flat on a level surface.
Install the inner axle shaft bearing using the J 42211 and the J 8092 . The bearing is installed to the proper depth when the tool is flush with the tube end. Lubricate the bearing using axle lubricant. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations in Maintenance and Lubrication. Install the inner axle shaft seal with the J 23911 . Drive in the seal until the seal flange is flush with the tube end. Install the inner axle shaft. Refer to Inner Axle Housing Shaft and Housing Replacement .
good luck
paul