name that weird bit

I'd like to perform routine maintenance tasks on my 2003 Silverado. One thing the owner's manual says to do every once in a while is check the level of the manual transmission fluid. The plug looks sort of
like a giant recessed cap screw that accepts a hex key. I'll measure it exactly later but it looks I'd need a giant hex key about 3/4" across, although I'll bet it's a metric size.
What do you call the bit that will get this out? Looked in JC Whitney --nothing.
--zeb
socket head bit...? I got one 4 your tranny, but it came off a snap-on truck years ago
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
Zeb Kagloonpop wrote:

It's a 17mm allen key.
Ian

In that case, it's the same as the tranny drain plugs on my Volkswagen. I got mine at Schucks autoparts (same as Checker or Kragen) They carry a line of fairly crappy tools called "Powerbuilt" The 17mm allen bit is part number 648438, cost around 5 bucks IIRC.
Dan
--
We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a `part' of NATO. We have a firm
commitment to Europe. We are a `part' of Europe.

Linkity link:
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumberd8438
Apparantly, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and Autobarn also carry this brand.

--
Aerodrome (n) - British word for airport. About what you would expect from
a country that gives its airplanes names like Gypsy Moth and Fairey Battle

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumberd8438
In a pinch you can use a metric coupling nut (just a long nut) and a wrench. Or, you could weld two nuts together. The part in the link above is sure reasonable.
Al
MY GOD MAN, I didn't know they still made manual transmissions!
Zeb Kagloonpop wrote:

May I ask:
Which tree in the woods, have you been sleeping against for the past twenty years?
Refinish King