name that weird bit

I'd like to perform routine maintenance tasks on my 2003 Silverado. One thing the owner's manual says to do every once in a while is check the level of the manual transmission fluid. The plug looks sort of like a giant recessed cap screw that accepts a hex key. I'll measure it exactly later but it looks I'd need a giant hex key about 3/4" across, although I'll bet it's a metric size.

What do you call the bit that will get this out? Looked in JC Whitney

--nothing.

--zeb

Reply to
Zeb Kagloonpop

socket head bit...? I got one 4 your tranny, but it came off a snap-on truck years ago

Reply to
Mad Dog

It's a 17mm allen key.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

In that case, it's the same as the tranny drain plugs on my Volkswagen. I got mine at Schucks autoparts (same as Checker or Kragen) They carry a line of fairly crappy tools called "Powerbuilt" The 17mm allen bit is part number 648438, cost around 5 bucks IIRC.

Dan

Reply to
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Marshall Banana :

Linkity link:

Apparantly, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and Autobarn also carry this brand.

Reply to
Marshall Banana

In a pinch you can use a metric coupling nut (just a long nut) and a wrench. Or, you could weld two nuts together. The part in the link above is sure reasonable.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
KENG

May I ask:

Which tree in the woods, have you been sleeping against for the past twenty years?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King