Need help with air pressure in tires

I recently bought a used 97 Chevy 1500. The tire size is 235 75 R15. It had some old Goodyear Tiger Paws which I understand were passenger tires. Since my wife is going to pull a 2 horse trailer, I went to
Walmart and bought some LT tires with the brand Liberator. I understand they are made by Michelin. The passenger tires that I replaced took 35 psi. I contacted MIchelin and they said that the LT tires should be run with 50 psi.
We had driven the truck on a trip with the old tires(at 35 psi) and found that it rode almost like a passenger car. If I have 50 psi in the new tires, won't it run a lot rougher? Would it hurt to run the new LT tire at 35 psi to get the softer ride?
The max. pressure you can run is 50, and Michelin probably gave that pressure so you wouldn't underinflate the tires. 35-40 should be fine, except for towing, then you want more...
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:53:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMnewliferanch.com wrote:

i just replaced my tires on my z71. it had passenger tires on it, and held 35 psi. the trk called for LT tires so thats what i went back with, and the LTs calls for 50, i noticed a lil difference in ride but not much.
Mine Michelin LT tires had a maximum rating of 80psi. Should I be putting 80psi on then or put on what the manufacturer call for 42psi ?

Are you pulling with your truck if so i reccomnd 50psi but for just regular road travel Id but it at 42 psi to 45 psi anything under 40 psi tend to wear out your tires faster but may not offect the drive.
Actually, we bought it in order to be able to pull a horse trailer. However, most of the time it will be used without a trailer and only as transportation. That being the case what should be the inflation?
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:32:45 -0500 (CDT), The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

is your last name Lasater? If so, are you related to a Jeff Lasater in southern Ohio?
Just curious.
Snowman

if the max psi is 50 it is cold pressure and you should allow a 5lbs slack for expansion meaning 50 psi you put 45 psi to allow the tire to expand if you over inflate it youll we them out faster.as far as for what you have 45psi is fine for the road when pulling check to see if yur tires sag with the trailor on it if they do bump the up to 50 psi.this is allowing your tires proper seating on the road and less chance of wearig out.
We are probably distantly related but I do not know him. All the Lasaters came from a family that came to the east coast(Va, SC,NC) in the late 1700's.
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:13:33 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

thanks, I was just wondering.

psi
In short, if the manufacturer says to run 50 lbs, then run 50 lbs. It doesn't matter what the truck rides like - do what the tire manufacturer says to do. They are EXPERTS in their field. You bought a truck, thus it may ride like a truck.
Snowman

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMnewliferanch.com wrote:

I suggest you get ahold of someone at Michelin and see if you hear that one a second time. I find that awfully hard to believe!

If they are run close to the maximum rated load, then yes, go with the maximum rated pressure. If running lighter, less pressure is fine.

My LT's (Load Range "E") are spec'ed at 80 psi with max load but I run them at 38-40 psi when running light.
VLJ
sez:

them
Finally, a correct response.