Need help with front axle

83 S10 4x4. Started hearing a thunking sound at low speeds in the front drivers side tire. Took a look, and the boot that is on the back of the tire is torn. I figure
whatever needed grease in there is shot. Where I need the help is, that I have never worked on anything with 4 wheel drive. Don't have any friends that have either. Can someone give me a link to a site that would explain what parts are in the front axle of a 4x4? Even better would be something that explains how to take it apart as well. Don't know if it matters, but this truck does not have locking hubs.
-- Trevor Ylisaari
That sure sounds like your CV joint boot (Constant Velosity joint) That boot seals grease into the CV joint, that clunking is likely the result of excessive play in the CV joint cause it's been running dry for so long. That is the pivot point of the front drive axle, that allows power transfer to the front tires while still being able to turn corners in 4wd. I'd leave that job to a shop cause I don't like independent front suspensions, but that's just me.
| 83 S10 4x4. | Started hearing a thunking sound at low speeds in the front drivers side | tire. | Took a look, and the boot that is on the back of the tire is torn. I figure | whatever needed grease in there is shot. | Where I need the help is, that I have never worked on anything with 4 wheel | drive. Don't have any friends that have either. Can someone give me a link | to a site that would explain what parts are in the front axle of a 4x4? Even | better would be something that explains how to take it apart as well. | Don't know if it matters, but this truck does not have locking hubs. | | | -- | Trevor Ylisaari | | |

link
Trevor,
Go to this site. http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%20Lookup/cal_ModelLookup.html
type in 1983 and T-10 (T-10 is the correct model for an S- Series with 4 wheel drive)
on the next screen select your correct engine size ( on the right side you'll see engines) click the button next to the correct one.
On the next screen select Drive Train Now select Front Drive Axle And finally select Halfshafts (Drive Axle)
It will show you and tell you how they are repaired.
--
Fort Plain NY

> Thank you for your reply.

Thank you so much! That is way better than anything I had found so far. Seems pretty straight forward. Only thing that might be a problem is removing the shaft from the hub. If it becomes a pain, I will just go rent the tool for the job. Thanks again. I feel a lot more confident in tackeling the job now.
-- Trevor Ylisaari

Thanks again for the help. I finished changing the axle last night. Wasn't too bad. Worst part was getting the nut off. Of course now that I am done, still have the same problem I had before. Still getting a thunking sound at low speed. I'll have to do some more digging.
-- Trevor Ylisaari

start.
more