need help with front differential

All imformation will be gladely appreciated

I have a 2001 Silverado and have been beginning to notice a clicking sound coming from my front differential. I only hear the noise when I am around 10 MPH. I jacked up the front of the truck and spun the wheels and only hear the noise when the left front wheel turns. I drained the differential fluid and there was a substantial ammount of metal shavings suspended in the fluid. How big of a projcect is it to rebuild the front differential and does anyone know the specs for rebuilds? Also can anyone recommend a good manual for differential rebuilds. I feel confident that I can rebuild it with a little guidance. Also does anyone know of a supplier of rebuilt front differentials.

Reply to
Bwendel07

Have you ever rebuilt and set up a differential before (front, rear...makes no difference)? These really are not that difficult to rebuild, but I say that as someone who's been rebuilding diffs for over 20 years. It gets easier as you go along (grin). For the first timer, I would not recommend tackling this job.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I agree with Ian's post, I've rebuilt two 12 bolt Chevy rear ends many years ago. It's relatively easy but with out the right tools to measure what the pinion bearing is and selecting the right shim for the pinion gear it's a little bit of trial and error. Also the back lash changes every time that you change the pinion shim and so on and so on.

If the gear depth and back lash and gear mesh aren't all correct the gear set won't last long.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

How big of a projcect is it to rebuild the front differential and does anyone know the specs for rebuilds?

Also can anyone recommend a good manual for differential rebuilds?

I feel confident that I can rebuild it with a little guidance.

Also does anyone know of a supplier of rebuilt front differentials. ==== ====

drivetrain.com discount automotive and truck parts Address:

scroll down and watch the right hand tool bar, near the bottom you're going to see the links to the info that will help you decide if you have the balls....oops....ability....to perform the task at hand.

and if not....they sell units.

MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Setting up a differential ring and pinion Address:

google is yer friend

MarshMonster ~:~

====== ====== need help with front differential Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 8:19pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bwendel07)

All imformation will be gladely appreciated

Reply to
Marsh Monster