new front axle actuator - again

'97 K1500, with front axle not engaging in 4 wheel drive. I got the new front axle actuator, part #26060073 and wiring harness #12376317 as suggested here and verified by GMpartsonline.
No instructions. The actuator installation is obvious, as are the electrical connectors on the harness. But the harness also has a thin, 10 inch probe at the end of a 6 foot cable. Where does the probe go, and how is it installed? Thanks. (I can see the smart ass, OT answers already)
cew wrote:

Well, I'll try not to live up to your expectations there.....
Wouldn't the original harness have the same probe and you will see where it goes when you remove the one you're replacing?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060401090106010504070903 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
JLarsson wrote:

Sounds like a good possibility. But I don't remember any such thing when I was trying to find out why the front axle isn't engaging - either under the truck or in the shop manual. From the length of the cable, I'm guessing the probe goes back to the transfer case (which doesn't make sense to me), or to the push button switches (which again doesn't make sense). This 'probe' is not an electical connection - it looks like it's suppose to be a temp sensor?? Anyway, I can't work on the truck just now, and I'd prefer to know what I'm doing before starting the job -- so I thought I'd ask. I know there are others here who have done this replacement recently. (that's how I got the part numbers originally) Cal
--------------060401090106010504070903 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Wouldn't the original harness have the same probe and you will see where it goes when you remove the one you're replacing?
--------------060401090106010504070903--
Just call the dealer and ask parts or service. old john
type="cite"><PRE wrap="">cew wrote: </PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">'97 K1500, with front axle not engaging in 4 wheel drive. I got the new front axle actuator, part #26060073 and wiring harness #12376317 as suggested here and verified by GMpartsonline. No instructions. The actuator installation is obvious, as are the electrical connectors on the harness. But the harness also has a thin, 10 inch probe at the end of a 6 foot cable. Where does the probe go, and how is it installed? Thanks. (I can see the smart ass, OT answers already) </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!----> Well, I'll try not to live up to your expectations there.....
Wouldn't the original harness have the same probe and you will see where it goes when you remove the one you're replacing?
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like a good possibility. But I don't remember any such thing when I was trying to find out why the front axle isn't engaging - either under the truck or in the shop manual. From the length of the cable, I'm guessing the probe goes back to the transfer case (which doesn't make sense to me), or to the push button switches (which again doesn't make sense). This 'probe' is not an electical connection - it looks like it's suppose to be a temp sensor??<BR>Anyway, I can't work on the truck just now, and I'd prefer to know what I'm doing before starting the job -- so I thought I'd ask. I know there are others here who have done this replacement recently. (that's how I got the part numbers originally)<BR>Cal<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
cew wrote:

Are you certain it's a probe? When I converted my 1997 and my 1995 there was a single brown wire that has to be connected to the brown wire on the transfer case switch. You route the wire up the same manifold heat protection tube as the frame to block ground strap near the starter, then over the transmission to the driver's side & then back to the transfer case. They gave just about the perfect amount of wire to do this. I did have this information in the harness package when I did the 1995 about 5 years ago. When I did the 1997 several weeks ago there were no instructions.
syoung wrote:

This is why I ask questions: to show my ignorance, and get answers. I guess the long length of the wire threw me off. Thanks a lot. Cal