New to Chevys

Page 2 of 2

How ya been bud? Haven't seen much of you lately.
Doc
Work, Work and more work!
Glad to see you're still at it!
Since getting the shop, I've been kicking ass finishing my old projects and getting ready for the new. The building isn't what I really wanted, but at least it's a place to work.
Salute.
Refinish King

<snip>

Nope, no warranty. Sold as-is. I gave the truck a pretty spirited test drive and it drove out fine. No leaks, no funny noises, smooth, strong and quiet. I honestly don't think they could have known about this wierd little problem. It was from a little B lot and they only had it two days before I bought it (checked it with Carcheck.com). They didn't even detail it out, just an oil/filter change and a quick wash.

I suspected that too and will reserve judgement until after a couple of tanks. Guages are a little wonky. Voltage reads 15 1/2 volts, but my VOM shows 14.3 @ warm idle, all electrics off.

According to the guage, about 50 PSI at idle in park, cold or warm. Peaks at 70 PSI at and above 3000 RPM parked or driving. I meant to mention that in my first post. What's it supposed to be for this engine? Have put about another 70 miles on it on freeway and around town and have had no further problem. As I stated, it was about a quart over filled. I drained and refilled to the proper level. Brainstorming with some friends, someone tossed out cavitation as a possible culprit caused by too much oil, high freeway RPMs, then sudden stop and slow (25 MPH) driving. Of course there's no solid theory, experience, or evidence behind this, just a wild as* guess. But we based it on our assumption that a mechanical oil pump either works or doesn't work. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks, Jay
BTW, this doesn't make me think that all GMs have "horror stories". I've had those with any brand mechanical device.
"Jay" <jgibson1 AT COM CAST . NOT> wrote in message

last
if
shut
no
just
warning
and
little
another
problem.
start
that
about
there's
guess.
or
Not likely as usually a faulty oil filter will block oil completely, but if they did just change the oil it would be worth a try to change to another filter.
Brian
"Jay" <jgibson1 AT COM CAST . NOT> wrote in message

GM gauges are always "ballpark." Mine reads 11 volts and 14.4 V at the battery.......go figure.

Yes, that assumption is correct. That oil pressure is great for a SBC...............it could be that the oil pump pickup screen was temporarily blocked but if that was the case you'd expect a partial blockage at all times and you wouldn't have those great OP numbers.
I'd change the oil and filter (Use AC Delco, Purolator or Mobil 1 filter) and see if it happens again. Could have just been a fluke. Cavitation is a decent theory BTW.
Doc
Is it possible the oil foamed due to "overfilled" crankcase?
Is it possible the "overfilling" was cause by an internal coolant leak draining into the crankcase?
I would drain some of the oil into a pan and check.
Good Luck!
Jay wrote:

<SNIP>
Bob
I drained/changed oil as soon as I could. Drained (including filter) into an eight quart oil pan and almost filled it to the top, so it was closer to two quarts overfilled. Oil was clean, no coolant. Also, when I changed the (CRAPA) NAPA filter that came on it I checked the part number and discovered it was the wrong filter. I'm glad this lot only had it two days before I bought it so it wasn't driven much this way. Replaced it with the correct AC Delco filter and the correct grade and amount of oil. 700 miles later and the truck has been great. Fuel guage problem about 95% solved after a few tanks of gas. I think it sat a long time with very little gas in it.
Thanks, Jay