New to Chevys

Not likely as usually a faulty oil filter will block oil completely, but if they did just change the oil it would be worth a try to change to another filter.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

GM gauges are always "ballpark." Mine reads 11 volts and 14.4 V at the battery.......go figure.

Yes, that assumption is correct. That oil pressure is great for a SBC...............it could be that the oil pump pickup screen was temporarily blocked but if that was the case you'd expect a partial blockage at all times and you wouldn't have those great OP numbers.

I'd change the oil and filter (Use AC Delco, Purolator or Mobil 1 filter) and see if it happens again. Could have just been a fluke. Cavitation is a decent theory BTW.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi Doc!

That's a Ford problem, most noteable on a 2.9. But most notorious on a Ford.

Refinish King

Posting from the shop at break time. Break from breaking my ass that is.

Reply to
JULIO SPALLONE

How ya been bud? Haven't seen much of you lately.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Is it possible the oil foamed due to "overfilled" crankcase?

Is it possible the "overfilling" was cause by an internal coolant leak draining into the crankcase?

I would drain some of the oil into a pan and check.

Good Luck!

Jay wrote:

Reply to
Bob

Work, Work and more work!

Glad to see you're still at it!

Since getting the shop, I've been kicking ass finishing my old projects and getting ready for the new. The building isn't what I really wanted, but at least it's a place to work.

Salute.

Refinish King

Reply to
JULIO SPALLONE

Bob

I drained/changed oil as soon as I could. Drained (including filter) into an eight quart oil pan and almost filled it to the top, so it was closer to two quarts overfilled. Oil was clean, no coolant. Also, when I changed the (CRAPA) NAPA filter that came on it I checked the part number and discovered it was the wrong filter. I'm glad this lot only had it two days before I bought it so it wasn't driven much this way. Replaced it with the correct AC Delco filter and the correct grade and amount of oil. 700 miles later and the truck has been great. Fuel guage problem about 95% solved after a few tanks of gas. I think it sat a long time with very little gas in it.

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Jay