new (to me) 1990 K1500 Silverado

All,

I just bought a 1990 Chevy k1500 Silverado, 5.7L TBI. I bought it as a beater, trips to Home Depot, the dump, stuff like that when the trunk of my car just ain't quite big enough. What I'm looking for is a website with just general information on it. It came with the manuals but they really didn't go into some of the specifics (like horsepower, towing capacity, stuff like that). Also, I bought the Haynes manual (is there a better one out there?) for any DIY stuff that comes along, but a website that has a bit more extensive repair section would be great.

Next, a stupid question. Is saying "K1500 Silverado" redundant? I know the K1500 describes several models, but is the Silverado only available as a K1500?

Finally (for now at least), I'm looking for a few success/horror/opinion type stories. The truck has 186,000 miles on it. I bought it as a beater, expecting to put a couple thousand miles a year on it. The more I thought about it though, the more it occured to me that I could use it as a daily driver, while restoring my car (91 Audi 200TQ, 149,000 miles). The last thing I would want though, is to own 2 vehicles, and have neither work if the truck goes down. I know that none of you know the condition of the truck, but, at 186,000 miles, am I allready on borrowed time with it? Should I just be happy when it makes it to Home Depot and back (around 4 mile round trip)?

TIA for your advice and help Bill

Reply to
bill
312,000 when I rolled my 88. if you haven't done so change all of the fluids and DO NOT let them backflush your transmission
Reply to
worker

watch ebay for the factory Service manual.

up until the current generation, "Silverado" was the top line trim package, it was available on any of the trucks, 2/4wd and 1/2-1 ton. the "K1500" is the actual model name, 1/2 ton, 4wd.

well, my dad has a '90 C2500 that's got about 270,000 miles on it, and it is his daily driver. he's had no major failures with it. I even towed a 2 horse steel trailer from maine to kentucky and back with 240k on the clock. he had a '88 c1500 before that that finally died at about 450,000 (I say about as the odometer stopped about 8 years before the truck did). I've got a '88 K2500 that's still going strong after 15 years.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

K1500 is a 1/2 ton 4x4 PU Silverado is the TRIM LEVEL. There where the W/T Work truck, Cheyenne, the Scotsdale and Silverado in that order from Utility to more luxury trim.

5.7L TBI has 200 hp and is adequate to tow a 24' pontoon boat at 70 mph or a Racecar. Haynes is the best of the manuals other than GM service manuals. I'm at 155,000 miles on my 90 C-1500 and I still have all the original gaskets in there original location. The engine has used 1 quart of oil in 3,000 miles ever since new and continues the same today, The automatic (700r4) is still untouched too.
Reply to
Im Right