New Trick - Stubborn Exhaust Manifolds

Page 2 of 2

the
It
Any of you guys have a hyperlink to a site with pictures this doo-hickey? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head..................must be from all the PB Blaster fumes I inhaled today.
Doc

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:20:37 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

Is this the Snap-on tool?
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID 798&group_ID43&store=snapon-store&dirΚtalog
Took a little looking but I found it...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yup, that's it.
The YA part number means it's from an outside vendor and odds are it is the exact same Lisle tool that Ian posted.
Add pictures here
βœ–

doo-hickey?
Nope, all I've got is a small shop with a couple techs besides myself. Most of the time that's more than enough.... lol. Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

another
manifold
One of the drawbacks of not being a professional mechanic and having never worked in an automotive shop, and not having any friends who are wrenches..................I'm not up-to-speed on all the specialty tools available. I'm gunna look for a few of those spreaders and pitch my "tool", he he he he. Thanks for the info guys!
Doc

Add pictures here
βœ–

Tool catalogs are usually free for the asking, make interesting reading (won't say where) and serve to get the creative juices flowing when one needs to make a special tool in a pinch.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Good to know. will track down the Snap-On man tomorrow, as I need to put a new manifold on my rig soon.

another
manifold
Add pictures here
βœ–

A "new" manifold will bolt up without the use of any special tools since it won't have warped yet. Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
OK, then we'll use the proper word: "salvage" 8)

it
Add pictures here
βœ–

it
I hope my manifold goes on again easy...
2.8TD 4JB1-T Isuzu.
http://www.cybamall.com/kiwi88isuzu /
rhys
Add pictures here
βœ–
I had the same problem when I installed rebuilt heads on my '94 Z71 w/350 a couple years ago. What I did was throw the manifolds (one at a time) into the kitchen oven and heat 'em up for awhile, grab some welding gloves, and run them to the truck as fast as I could. Don't worry, the smell in the oven only lasts a little while (lol). I knew there was probably some specialty tool out there, but I was pressed for time. The first went on with no problem. The second one I had to heat up twice, but it worked...
Ladude
Hello all,
Thought I'd share my newest brain fart with all of you lest it may help someone in the future.
We've all been there. Yank an exhaust manifold for some reason or another and damned if it'll go back on, the holes on one far-side of the manifold never line up; you can always get 4 bolts in without a problem, but the last two are always off by 1/8" or so. I used to just heat up the manifold with a torch, then burn the piss out of my hands while working with a 400* manifold trying to get it back on.
Had to replace both donut gaskets today on my 88' C1500 and had to pull both manifolds to get the old flange studs out. Neither manifold would line back up when I went to put it back on. Didn't feel like screwing around with my torch. So, using a die grinder I "notched" an exhaust manifold bolt about 1/8" on the un-threaded part of the shaft. I then put the manifold in place, screwed this bolt in 4 turns into the frontmost hole with the notched side of the bolt facing the front of the truck. This gave me enough play to get the rest of the bolts in, working from back to front, replacing the notched bolt last with a new bolt. Did it on the other side as well and it worked like a charm. Saved time, pain, and it now has a place of honor in my toolbox for the next time I need it.
Maybe I should make a whole bunch and sell em' on E-Bay for $2.00? ;-)
Doc
Add pictures here
βœ–

last
with
both
back
my
notched
it
=============Awesome idea Doc. the making and selling part :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS13000.html
Lisle already has it covered... Sorry
--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

βœ–
I was thinking about it - that tool is just for small blocks. Yours is SB BB compatible?
~KJ~

Add pictures here
βœ–
"KJ" wrote

BB
That tool is not necessary for the big block manifolds as they don't have the small block "w" configuration that tends to warp so badly. I have seen big block manifolds that have warped, usually they end up shearing the end bolts right off. In that case, a new manifold is usually in order.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–