new z71 tow mode question

i have a new silverado with a 1000lb trailer + 2 snowmobiles to pull this year and i noticed that the tow mode revs somewhat higher..should i use this for
towing all the time?is this hard on the truck?i plan on keeping this truck for 10 years and it will be used mostly for towing this trailer in the winter...most towing is highway and some elevation,thanks for any help... kevin

2k lbs. of sleds isn't that heavy of a load for the truck but if your towing in hills the firmer shifts are less heat building. My '99 Yuk auto. adapts to tow loads, I'd rather have the switched mode myself. Main thing is to service the trannie every 25k and I'll last a long time.
--
John
POLXCSP wrote:

Yeah, my manual states that the Tow/Haul mode in my '04 simply changes the shift points so that the shifts are more "consistant". You might notice that you'll expect it to upshift here, or downshift there... where in normal mode, it's always bumping up and down gears as you get on an off the throttle.
I have some software that gives me access to the trucks computer, and the line pressures for both modes are exactly the same.
It's completely up to you whether you want to use it or not...
I think it's a LITTLE harder on the truck when you don't have a load on there that would benefit from it, but I really don't think it's abusive. I think it's probably a litle abusive if you don't use it on a large load, and you've got the tranny running up and down the gears on hills.
-marc
thanks for the info its good to know... kevin
What I have noticed when towing in tow mode in OD the torque converter stays locked even when shifting to 3rd. I know that conventional wisdom says that you should stay out of OD when towing but if the TC stays locked, what's the problem?
--
hank
2004 Chev Z71
hank wrote:

Yeah, personally I don't think there is a problem towin in OD...
The most I pull is 5,000lbs, and I use OD at 65-70mph just fine.
-marc
Marc Westerlind stated he has software to access the trucks computer, what do you use this softwar with? Lap top or what? Or are you talking about a Hypertech or Superchips programmer, or a different programmer.