Newbe 4 x4 question

My wife just picked up a 2001 Jimmy with the 4 wheel automatic option. I have no idea when she should switch from 2Hi to 4Auto or to 4Hi. This truck is only used in the city or hiway. I can not imagine it ever
going off road.
Is there any maxium speed for travel in 4Auto or 4Hi ?
Can she run in 4Auto on DRY roads ?
As you see I know nothing about running a 4 x 4 :((
That is why I picked the name Shmuckel Putz to post
Newbie, there is a great explanation of these functions in the owner's manual, post back if you don't have one.

-
Shep, No owners manual came when she got the truck. I guess it was her only oversight (except possibly when she married me) Shmuckel :))

Shmuckel Putz wrote:

Check your owner's manual, but I don't think that it will talk about maximum speeds. The important thing to remember is that you can do damage to the driveline if you drive around in 4hi in high traction conditions.

Yes, you can.....but I wouldn't. Unless you are going from dry to very slippery there is no need for the auto4hi feature to be engaged. It just ends up wearing parts in the t/case prematurely. Where I would use auto4hi would if I woke up in the morning, and it's snowing , or you just had a big snowfall and the streets alternate between nice and dry on the main roads, and slippery/icy on the side roads.
4hi is used when you are going thru some really nasty slippery stuff. Auto4hi basically does the same thing as 4hi, but 4hi is locked all the time. In the big city, I can't see much reason for using 4hi when you have auto4hi. 4hi is for the 4x4 experts, auto4hi is for the yuppies in the city who don't want to think about when or where to engage 4x4.
Ian
See additional question after Ian's answer.

Shmuckel Putz

4 wheel drive is not for use in the rain. Only snow, loose dirt or gravel. Basically you don't use 4 wheel drive unless 2 wheel drive won't get you there.
Brian

If your worried about how fast you can drive in 4x4 you don't need 4x4. 4WD is for those times when you NEED all four wheels pulling. Snow, Loose gravel, Sand, Mud. Basically if your driving around in 4X4 your speed should be governed by the condition of the road/trail/path. If there good enough that your worried about speed then take it out of 4WD. Keep in mind as well that 4WD in the hands of someone who isn't used to it can be dangerous. Cornering is entirely different and braking response changes as well. Those two items are the real reason you see folks stuck halfway across the median or field, they think that the 4WD makes the vehicle invincible and drive faster than conditions allow. Then when they lose control they slide / roll over farther off the road. These are the same ones who decide after this that 4X4s are too unstable and deadly and should be banned. You do NOT drive a 4X4 like a car, it is a different vehicle with a different set of rules. Since your both new to them I suggest finding an area with loose gravel and driving around in it some to see what the vehicle does.
-
well put steve i agree 110% with you. i have been driving 4x4's for about 3 yrs now, not off road but only use it as you stated when its needed, snow and such, and i learn something new everytime i have to use it. again well put, thanks for the great post

The best thing I've found is a large snow covered parking lot... works great for finding out what your vehicle will do in slides, fishtales, spinouts, etc. though the only downside is you need to have permission and/or own the lot to keep the cops off your back.
-Bret

This is an excellent way to find parking bumpers that are buried under the snow. It's an expensive way, but it works.
Al

-Bret
4wd is great for driving in hazardous conditions, but remember it does absolutely nothing for braking. As Steve posted, the idea is not to go fast, just to keep going.
I have a 99 Blazer and wouldn't go more than 40mph in 4HI on snowy roads.
I used to have a 1968 K-10 with lock out hubs. It's to bad the consumer has gotten so lazy that everything must be "push button" now. I then moved up to a 90 Blazer, at least that had a 4WD engange lever, the 99 is just push button electronic
Ex-Off Road Warrior

I think that I have to disagree with the above statement. For example, if going down a steep icy mountain road approaching a stop sign without being in 4wd and just one wheel locks up, then you only have 3 wheels remaining for braking. This puts more requirement on the remaining 3 wheels for braking perhaps causing them to also lock up (which is exactly what happened). When in 4wd, the wheel will keep turning instead in locking up significantly increasing braking ability.
The above is from my own experience of a nasty hill near my home.
absolutely nothing for braking.
: 4wd is great for driving in hazardous conditions, but remember it does : absolutely nothing for braking. As Steve posted, the idea is not to go : fast, just to keep going. : : I have a 99 Blazer and wouldn't go more than 40mph in 4HI on snowy : roads. : : I used to have a 1968 K-10 with lock out hubs. It's to bad the consumer : has gotten so lazy that everything must be "push button" now. I then : moved up to a 90 Blazer, at least that had a 4WD engange lever, the 99 : is just push button electronic : : Ex-Off Road Warrior :
that's called "traction control". It has NOTHING to do with 4 wheel drive.
Not true. This is a Bronco with "4 wheel drive". Not Traction control.
: that's called "traction control". It has NOTHING to do with 4 wheel : drive. :
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    Probably the effects of "Engine Braking" with 4 wheels in traction.
    4WD's with out Anti-Lock stop better in Gravel, Snow & Mud. This is because the front wheels build up a "hill" infront of them as they dig in. Where as ABS trucks tend to need longer stopping distances in said low traction surfaces. Charles
this has nothing to do with 4WDs either. ANY vehicle without ABS will build that "hill".
sorry folks, you just aren't making a very convincing argurment that 4WDs stop better due to being 4WD.
On 22 Aug 2005 09:35:31 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I found I actually DID slow down better going down hills in my 4WD trucks. I would leave it in 4hi and downshift the transmission to use engine braking in slippery conditions. This slowed me down but kept the wheels moving. No amount of 4WD, FWD, AWD, etc. will help on ice unless you have proper tires, but I found the above to work well for me in snow.
I practically have to learn how to drive in snow again though, going back to a car after having 4WD's for the last 7 years...