nitrogen filled tires

Page 2 of 2
I saw them doing this on TV once. It was an expedition in like Alaska or something and they were airing down on the snow, but the cross wind would blow them off their beads.
GMC Gremlin

that was the trek across the south pole.

With all the money they spent on the trip, they couldn't afford bead locks? Or run with inner tubes? It was interesting though, an "Old School" discovery channel show. I think I might have been 11 when I saw it.
GMC Gremlin

Thats how we reseat 16.5 inch tires back on the rim while out in the bush. except we use spray can ether (diesel cold start) and throw a match at it. You learn very quickly how much is enough......... As a matter of fact thats how I and many others I'm sure who change their own 40"-44" tires on a 16.5" rim, seat them. I don't know of any other way to do it myself.

Gordy, Why don't you fill your's with propane? Stovebolt On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:02:21 -0400, The Nolalu Barn Owl

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:02:51 -0400, STOVEBOLT <> wrote:

tire and seal the leaks. NEVER heard of a tire blowing up into a ball of fire. Grow up and tell a story someone can believe! Your tales smack of kid stuff. -- Best Regards Gordie

filling tires with nitrogen. - Nitrogen has molecules that are 4 times larger than (I didn't catch the name of the gas they compared to) and so the tire tends to stay inflated longer with less chance of *slow leaks*. For tose of us in the Great White North this means that the common aluminum rim /flat tires in the cold weather may be a thing of the past (just me thinking about the possibilities). - Nitrogen is dryer than air and should pose less of a danger of corroding your rims. - Nitrogen can be used even during a power failure to inflate your tires. - Nitrogen is a stable (inert) gas and doesn't attack the tires. They should last longer.
They made absolutely NO MENTION of exploding tires! -- Best Regards Gordie

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one doesn't seem to make sense... :)
--
Dennis
DJKdesigns
Dennis wrote:

Not my comment, but I'll explain anyhow...
Nitrogen is in a compressed air bottle at very high pressure (meaning quite a bit of volume), where the air compressor needs power to replenish it's store, unless you have a large tank, which most people do not have. (though obviously most shops do have large compressor tanks).
Big Chris

home and the trip isn't over yet. One service station in town and just as we pulled in the power went out and stayed out for hours. There is only just enough air in the tank to work the tire changer but not enough to inflate the tire -- Damn! I live in a small rural community and power failures are a fact of life here. Sometimes they last for days. to add insult to injury, they chip-seal the roads rather than pave them and the arrow heads they call gravel can claim even a new tire. A 12 volt pump will melt before a big truck tire has enough air in it to go anywhere (ask me how I know).
-- Best Regards Gordie
York!
GMC Gremlin

Re: " Well, well well. On the news just yesterday was a story about Walmart filling tires with nitrogen. - Nitrogen has molecules that are 4 times larger than (I didn't catch the name of the gas they compared to) and so the tire tends to stay inflated longer with less chance of *slow leaks*. For tose of us in the Great White North this means that the common aluminum rim /flat tires in the cold weather may be a thing of the past (just me thinking about the possibilities). - Nitrogen is dryer than air and should pose less of a danger of corroding your rims. - Nitrogen can be used even during a power failure to inflate your tires. - Nitrogen is a stable (inert) gas and doesn't attack the tires. They should last longer. They made absolutely NO MENTION of exploding tires!
--
Best Regards
Gordie"
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:38:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Brian Orion) wrote:

Pure-Dee-Simple. -- Best Regards Gordie
ok after this question I asked for what I see now I guess having nitrogen is a good thing :)
(Brian Orion)