no fuel in cylinders

Hi,
I am rebuilding my 250 l6 ('77; integrated head) engine from my chevy truck. It is my first rebuild. It has been more than two years since it was
running. everything has been done as explained in the manual, but it won't start. facts: spark plugs are firing we pour fuel in from the top of the carb carb overhauled (rochester varajet II) all vacuum hoses are disconnected no smell of fuel at spark plugs after intensive trying
One other thing: What is the purpose of the threaded hole in the head between the 3rd and fourth (counting from the front) spark plug. It seems to have direct connection to a combustion chamber.
tnx for replying!
Prime the fuel pump and you should get fuel to the carburetor. Get an airhose and a grease rag and lightly pressurize the gas tank to force the fuel to the front. Not too much as you do not want to blow a line off. The hole you are talking about is probably for the air injector.