No heat

My heater blows but won't get hot, I have changed the thermostat twice, and the heatercore is not leaking. One hose from the radiator is cold, the other is hot. Any help would be very appreciated.

Sounds like a stuck blend door. What year and so on?
Al
Actually, I just had the same problem.... What I did was take off the intake and output hoses of the heater core, and put the compressor to it, and a big glob of little rusty pieces and some black stuff came billowing out. This even though I just flushed and filled this last fall. She was just plugged up, so you might want to try the same trick. Not saying this is what's wrong, but could be?
Regards,
Doug

Another old trick is the swap the hoses and reverse the flow through the core. Also if you run enough antifreeze it will never clog up. Lots of times 50/50 do not cut it long term. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Actually, I have had 100% antifreeze clog the heater core of a 1986 Mazda B-2000 so that theory is KA-PUT - Regards Gordie
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

Careful! This is one of Snomaggot's favorite little tricks of the trade! Run more then 50/50 and all will be well in your world (and cooling system)....heh heh...
Ian

I typical worthless comment from a troll that really is cluelless about chemistry and physics but is a self proclaimed expert on the matter and attacks anything that is beyond his abilty to comprehend and therefore must be wrong. On such matters take his comments with a grain of salt as he likes to pretend he is truely knowledgable so let him dribble so that he can feel better about himself. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

SnoIdiot, you are truely above description..... I really hope people see thru your bs.
Denny

Damn, go away from this group for a few years and nothing changes.
Sno, if the antifreeze worked better at 70/30 than at 50/50 don't you think the Prestone people would let us know? After all, they'd sell a lot more coolant if we had to mix it that way. Also, this new, premixed ripoff shit would come at the 70/30 ratio.
Old Crow(the poster formerly known as Big Daddy) '84 S-10 4x4(retired w/356,709 miles) '95 Wrangler YJ
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 21:59:39 -0500, The Nolalu Barn Owl <&#103&#111&#114&#100&#105&#101&#64&#110&#111&#108&#97&#108&#117&#46&#111&#110&#46&#99&#97> wrote:

No your logic is. First your Mazda was likely no clean to begin with and you are placing blame wrongly. Also you should never used 100 antifreeze in a cold climate unless it is propylene glycol (not the normal ethylene glycol) because propylene glycol has its lowest freeze point and highest boil point at 100% concentration (they use it in artic) Second I have beeing running around 70/30 for almost 20 years now and all my vehicles are still clean as new internally and even overflow tanks are spotless and could pass for new and it is not because I flush often because I do not. I have a old JD tractor that I bought 21 years that shortly after I got it I took it up to about 80/20 or better because radaitors for it are scarce. I have not flushed it since then and coolant is still clean as it was when I put it in and tank too. Water is very reactive and modern engine now have mixed alloy contents in them increasing the reactivity and a higher glycol consentration reduces it. For some reason people are really hung up on 50/50 (like 87 octane too) even though antifreeze is densor and can aborb more heat in a liquid state than water can. Sometimes vehicles appear to run warmer with high anti freeze but this is because it is removing mor heat from engine because it has a much lower surface tension and higher boil point and does not form a gas bubble bearier on hot parts like water does limiting heat transfer. Remember the temp gage read coolant temp not block temp. I think where this whole water is better than antifreeze for cooling comes from is that anitfreeze take about 40% less energy to convert it from liquid to steam so if you plan to boil it dry, water is better but is a sealed system that you do not want to boil over anyway glycol can transfer more heat out of engine and again why sometime some think it runs hotter with it (because it is removing more heat from engine that water left behind) and feeds the myth of water cooling better. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

<&#103&#111&#114&#100&#105&#101&#64&#110&#111&#108&#97&#108&#117&#46&#111&#110&#46&#99&#97>
I have never read such poppycock in my entire life. If anybody believes this crap and does it on their own vehicals then deserve what happens.
Denny

This is not correct. I looked at a bottle of Prestone propylene glycol today when I went into NAPA to pay my monthly statement. Propylene glycol's lowest freeze protection is at 70% concentration and is minus 74* F, ethylene glycol's' lowest freeze protection is at 70% and is minus 86*F. and thusly, propylene glycol (at any concentration) has no inherent advantage "in the arctic." (*I have no idea what an "artic" is)
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Oh....that's just "attic" with an "r" in place of the "t"!
You need to learn "Snoman-speak" or "type" as the case may be!
Ian

The mechanic at Mazda told me this just before he got my permission to drain, blow out the heater core with compressed air, flush and fill with 50-50. My complaint was lack of heat. He looked me straight in the eye and asked if I was using a 50-50 mix or was it stronger than that. Up until that time I had always used pure antifreeze in all my vehicles. He told me that the heater cores in the imported vehicles have smaller passages and pure antifreeze clogs them up.

Was nearly new. Only 3 years old.

Won't run anything but 50-50 again because of this experience. In North Western Ontario we need the heater to actually work.
- Regards Gordie

Are both heater hose's hot? If not the core could be plugged

sounds like the heater control valve under the hood, if your vehicle has one. would be helpful to know that or even what kind of truck / car you are asking about.
----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
make sure you have enough water in the radiator. otherwise it will not circlate through the heater core properly. old john

Sheer genius.