No wipers

I have a 1988 S-15 Jimmy with a 2.8 Motor. Wipers will not work and have replaced wiper motor. When i turn on the wiper switch i get a Thumping noise . But my wipers dont work.

Reply to
wrenchman

The obvious thing would be that the connector under the cowling has fallen off

Reply to
Augustus

Could you tell me how to find the cowling on the s- 15 jimmy . Also thank you for your help.

Reply to
wrenchman

The cowling is the long horizontal vented sheet metal piece between the hood and the windshield that the wiper arms come out from. You should be able to look down there with a flashlight while the wiper motor is going and see what's going on. The wiper motor assembly sits on the firewall and the motors driveshaft hooks up with the wiper linkage in this area.

Reply to
Augustus

I did check the connector on the back of the motor and its on. I also check the plug to the motor to make sure Im getting power and I am . I did this turning off and on the wiper switch.What do you think I should check next ?.

Reply to
wrenchman

Something must be binding. Try removing the entire wiper motor assembly from the firewall and see if it turns when power is on. If it does, then the wiper linkage under the cowling must be jammed or broken.

Reply to
Augustus

I have removed the wiper motor from the mounting and put power to it and the motor will come on.I did this with the old and the new wiper motor.

Reply to
wrenchman