Noise from 1987 S10

I have a 1987 S10 with the 2.8l with 5spd, which has 82000 original miles. I have a noise that occurs when I slow down and the clutch is still engaged. It seems (hard for me to say exactly) to emanate from
under the engine or transmission. The noise ceases once the vehicle is going slow enough. The noise has a medium pitch clicking and not a groaning or whining, and sounds like something spinning that shouldn't be. I know that's not much to go on, but would appreciate any ideas.

Try putting the Xfer case in neutral. Stick it in gear and let out the clutch. See if the noise is still there. If not, you can possibly eliminate the tranny out of the equation.
Try lifting all four wheels off the ground (safely!) and run it up - try to locate the noise that way.
If it ONLY does it under deceleration when the gears are loaded, it could be bearings in the tranny or transfer case.
Regardless, check the fluid levels in the trans & transfers. They normally use ATF, but if they're noisy you can run about 20-40% gear oil. It'll make for harder shifts when cold, but will help to shut it up a bit.

Sounds like the throwout bearing to me.
I second the throwout bearing, i had an 86 with the same tranny, same noise and that's what mine was. They're cheap enough to buy but what a pain to put in.