noise in new 2006 5.3L 310hp all aluminum engine

Just got this truck yesterday! I love it, except that engine noise is driving me absolutely crazy! On top of that, the dealer's people are shining me on, telling me, "they all do that...can't fix something that isn't wrong...I don't hear it....I can't hear anything....if you had the one with the cast iron block, you wouldn't hear that...it's the injectors, they all make that sound, some less than others, some none,....I definately hear it....[then mum when all the rest of the guys are around].

I believe its getting louder just today, and the salesman, an hour ago admitted to hearing it. Finally, some acknowledgment.

I had the day off today, unexpectedly. I've put only 250 miles on it. I took it down to one of the lead men mechanics where I work, and though he didn't know what to make of the noise, he noticed the crank pulley was running out badly. I pointed that out to the salesman, and he told me to bring it in my next day off and leave it a day.

I don't know about you people, but for $34,000.00, I don't think you should be able to sit in a quiet spot, in an otherwise quiet truck and hear a rhythmic clanking bell sound coming from the engine compartment. They've got their money. Am I going to have to settle for this truck if there is something wrong with it? I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Have you heard any similar experience? Thanks for reading. I feel sick.

Reply to
Copas

I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche...2nd owner and although mine like yours is a 5.3L But Mine being Cast Iron Block/Aluminum Heads...When I first start the Truck after sitting over night I'll hear the famous "Piston Slap" until after a couple of minutes then it goes away..I've owned the Truck now for 1 year and after spending $25,000cnd...It makes me sick hearing that sound...

I have had everything checked out by another Mechanic i.e.:Checked out everything to do with this Motor Tested for Compression..had it hooked up to computer to monitor everything while driving the Truck for a good 1/2 hour everything checks out OK and nothing..like Burning OIL between changes or what not... But after reading what you just Bought...Which is a Sweet Truck and the Nicer

5.3L Motor being All Aluminum Going from 4Cy to 8Cy to save on fuel and as well being able to burn 85 fuel +plus the extra 20 or so Hp then my 5.3L...I'dont know about the Newer Trucks having the same Piston Slap Noise(Have not looked into them)..But Allot of them do have this Noise(Piston Slap) Problem..Do A Google Search on "Piston Slap" and you'll find a load of information But I would if I was in your shoe's I want what ever noise problem fixed or give it back for another Truck that does not have the noise maybe yours is not this famous "Piston Slap" that allot have...But Just hearing any kind of strange Noise after spending that kind of $$ on a Brand New Truck would make for allot of Sleepless night's Good Luck on what ever you do..But keep us posted on here on what happens...like what they try to do to fix your problem Thanks Wayne
Reply to
Ironworker_721

Piston slap has been a long running issue with the 5.3 on and off over the years due to quality control issue to meet production quotas at minimum cost. SOme also seem to have a bit of lifter tic at time that GM says is acceptable too. It is hard to say what you are hearing without actually hearing it but aluminum blocked motors are generally noisier because they rediate sounds better than heavy cast iron block so it will never sound the same as one. If you want the quietest possible engine, get a cast iron one.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I don't think this is the piston slap thing, as it doesn't go away. If anything, it gets louder as the engine warms. What is the specific "quality control issue" of which you speak? Is there somewhere this is documented and available for reading?

Do you have any theory on the crank pully running out? This is face runout, not OD runout. Of course, if you have face runout, you are also going to have some OD runout, it's just not as noticable. At minimum, this side to side action is going to have some impact on the serpentine, but to think this is that poorly machined or assembled makes me wonder what else could be that way.

SOme also seem to have a bit of lifter tic at time that

Reply to
Copas

Actually all General Motors V8 pickup engines suffered from piston slap...not just the 5.3, at least the 5.3's the 6.0's and the 8.1's. Some are worse than others.

I believe the problem was rectified in the 2004 model year when the engine block castings were re-engineered. Regardless, I don't believe the problem was due to quality control issues but rather a design flaw.

Reply to
Advocate