noisy transfer case?

we had substantially more snow this year than ever since I've owned this truck, so i've used 4x4 a whole lot this year. with the radio down, cruising at street speed, my 91 z71's xfer case has a distinct hum that can
be heard in the cab. letting off the gas and coasting, the hum goes away....
a few places have told me that some noise from the xfer case in trucks like mine with miles on them is perfectly normal. they also said its time to worry when it won't go into 4x4 anymore, or it keeps popping out on its own. at slow speeds, shifting int 4hi with a firm swing is very positive...
any ideas? worth worrying about?
. . Check the fluid yet?
marsh ~:~ ===== ===== noisy transfer case? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Feb 21, 2004, 2:26am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (HamiltonAudio)
we had substantially more snow this year than ever since I've owned this truck, so i've used 4x4 a whole lot this year. with the radio down, cruising at street speed, my 91 z71's xfer case has a distinct hum that can be heard in the cab. letting off the gas and coasting, the hum goes away....
a few places have told me that some noise from the xfer case in trucks like mine with miles on them is perfectly normal. they also said its time to worry when it won't go into 4x4 anymore, or it keeps popping out on its own. at slow speeds, shifting int 4hi with a firm swing is very positive... any ideas? worth worrying about? b
Hamilton Audio wrote:

Yeah, I'd agree that it's normal. My last three 4x4's all whined in 4HI, when on the throttle.
-marc