normal to see leakage @ head gaskets @ 8K miles on 2006 Silverado 4x4?

I'd bet a dollar to a nickle the dealer would tell me so. "Can't fix something that ain't broke!"

Yep, the beginnings of the creepy cruds you see on old motors that were never washed.

Nope, it's not spillage from oil changes.

It's also on the top of the intake, by the top I mean where the upper most part of the water pump housing meets the intake housing, so I should probably say that flat spot atop the block, or the base of the intake housing? Help me out here. There is a big flat spot right there, in front of the intake housing. The coolant in the plastic overflow basin shows stains from where it's been high and low, and it's lower when cold than the cold line. So one might suggest that there is coolant going somewhere?

Bev

Reply to
Beverly

It's kind of hard to tell from your description what exactly is going on. Coolant leaks look like coolant leaks, especially on a new vehicle. The type of thing you are describing could be gasket cement, dust and sludge, or just about anything. Is is hard? What color is it? Is it like grease? . Was the coolant level always below the cold line or is it that you're just noticing this now because you suspect a coolant leak? Can you take a macro digital photo and post a link to it?

Reply to
Augustus

The leak at the valve cover [front]/head, is black, it looks like grease/sludge. The other part, the intake part, looks like stain from once standing, or pooled water thats dried. I don't really want to touch these until someone sees them. The coolant tank has a high and low "water" mark on the inside and is dirty in between. Coolant inside, itself, looks clean and pure enough. I am not sure where the level was when new. So, it could have been at the low mark. The operating temp never goes above the last mark before 210 degree mark. I can take digital photos as close as 18" but I don't know where I'd post them, apart from some "binaries," group, and I may not be able to do this before Sunday.

Thanks Bev

Reply to
Beverly

Would a "Pressure Test" not show if there is a Leak like being described by OP ??? I'm curious to find out as well Thanks

Reply to
Ironworker

It doesn't sound like a coolant leak. You can upload digital photos to flikr or photosite. All you need to do is register and upload, then provide a link in the n/g post. It sounds from your description to be gasket cement or sludge collecting from road dust and debris. Photos would help......so maybe give it a whirl.

Reply to
Augustus