notorious 98 350 intake gasket leak

i had the left side of the vortec 350 intake manifold gasket leak and i got into fixing it with no manual and just some instructions over the phone. bad news when i went to move the ac compressor bracket i needed to take
off the power steering pully to get at the bolt. i used a three prong claw puller and it pent the crap out of the pully and didn't budge it a quarter of an inch. now i need a new pully and no way to get the other one off. ps still don't have the intake done
In article

I've done dozens and dozens of intake gaskets and never saw the need to remove the power steering pulley. The AC-PS bracket only needs to be moved forward an inch or so, three bolts thru the front all outside the periphery of the pulley, one nut on the back of the pump and it will move forward.
Now you'll need a dedicated power steering pulley puller, such as;
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ast7874.html
comes with the necessary installer... 20 bucks is about as cheap as it gets...
4X4Chevy wrote:

There is no need to remove the power steering pulley to get at the bolts that hold that bracket to the engine. If I were you, I'd take the entire bracket and ps pump assembly off and get someone who knows what they are doing to remove that pulley and properly install a new one.
Ian
There is a puller SPECIFICALLY for the PS pump pulley. It is the ONLY way I have found to remove the pulley without damaging anything.

I bought my PS pully set at Advance Auto Parts a few years back.It didn't cost a lot,I think I had to order it,maybe they have them in stock now.If they don't they can order it for you.It's a tool that's not used much by the shadetree mechanic,but when it's needed it sure comes in handy.Glad I had it when I tore the 4.3 engine down in my S-10 Blazer.Good luck and let us know how you make out. Bobby
$18.00 they are in Stock here in Flint, Mi
bobby swift wrote:

you can get one at pep boys or auto zone and pay a fee which is refundable when you return it. old john