Now It's My Turn to Cry

Last month, Jeff Screws was complaining because the dealer scratched his new pickup. Well, now it's my turn. I simply cannot believe how !@#$% careless the service techs can be.
I took my undented, unscratched Sierra into my dealer this morning for an oil change and tire rotation. And, I had a windshield guy meet me there to fill in a small rock chip on the windshield. He fixed it in my sight and I turned it over to the dealer.
Later, when they returned it to me and I started to open the driver's door I saw something that literally made me want to throw my hands up and wail. Someone had opened the door into some object and left two small dents about three inches apart with the paint missing all the way down to the metal.
I had emphasized to the service tech when I took it in to make sure they didn't get grease on the seat again, so she put plastic covers on it. This time they decided to get grease all over the inside door panel and dent my door on the outside.
I showed it to my tech. Everyone knows me there and I hate to be a witch, but they also know how much I love (d) this truck. Another salesman came up to me and complimented me, telling me what a beautiful truck it was. I didn't have a chance to tell him about the service department guys and how they had ruined the door. I have no complaints about the front office people. It's the guys or gals in the pit that don't care about other people's vehicles.
So, the service writer looked at it and agreed it wasn't on there when I came in. She said they'd have some traveling touch up guy who works miracles fix it.
I'm not totally ignorant of painting and I know it has dents down to the metal. Touching it up won't fix it. It will only cover it up. Repainting the door will give me paint that will eventually flake or peel up from the mouldings, to say nothing about not matching.
So, guys what are you thoughts about this. I fully expect someone to remind me of my advice to Jeff--go to headquarters and scream loudly for the paint and body expert. Since I am known by everyone at the dealer and would like to stay on good terms, what might be another option for fully restoring the door?
I'm really disappointed and hurt right now, to say nothing about angry. I try so hard to protect this vehicle by parking it half a mile from every car in sight and then this happens.
Any good quality shop:
Can give you an accurate match, or a blendable match. That will enable them to blend into the adjacent panels and make it invisible to you and everyone else.
I mean a quality shop, which has a paint companies certification sign on the outside and in the office, not just a we use "so and so's paints" sign.
As far as their carelessness: If the service writer agreed she didn't see the dents upon drop off, did you get that in writing? People forget quickly when their jobs are threatened and you are one customer, compared to thousands.
Good luck, but the traveling dent repair, is as worthless as dog turd in the high grass. It will rust because it wasn't primed with a two component primer and sealer, also causing rust to creep under the surrounding paint.
So I would say: "Knowing them is one thing, but business is business!".
Complain away, and you will be respected for it.
Refinish King

And to think I INTENTIONALLY scratched mine this weekend. Went offroading with the ZR2 crew. Man it was a blast. I didn't intentionally put the scratches on the truck, but I put myself in a situation where it would happen. Lemme tell you, these ZR2s can handle a lot abuse, even stock. I actually don't know how many, if any, "custom pinstripes" I have, need to wash the layers of mud off first...

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:57:40 GMT, Mike Levy

I have always thought that the first thing you ought to do after taking delivery is to take your key and make a scratch on the fender or door or wherever. Not a bad one, mind you, just ... well, so it isn't *new* anymore.
I think that and say that, but I haven't ever been able to bring myself to DO it. Although, with my 2001 Dodge Ram, I didn't really have to. The paint on that gem kind of fell off it you just looked at it crosswise.
Hope my new Arrival Blue Silverado holds up a bit better ....
Marshall
well i would raise HOLY CAIN like there is no tomorrow. i personally had no problems like that, the only problem i ever had with service dept. was when the tech DIDNT re-set the change oil light after a service. i asked why he didnt, i paid for the service, his response, 'well the light wasnt on' well i went off on him, and the service writer came over to see what was happening, so i told him. well i changed service writers, (the service writers where i go have teams of mechs) and i told the new writer, that i never wanted that moron touching my truck again, she no problem. well this guy must of done this to many ppls cars. because he no longer works for this dealership.
BUT stand your ground, and fight all the way tp god if ya have to. let them know you mean business, no mater how well known you are at the dealership. there no better then you are. sorry for long post ppl.
How does this affect the serviceability of the vehicle?
MWS

Ok I may sound like a cold hearted bastard on this one but it is a truck. Yeah I would demand that they fix their minor mess up but come on people. Are you going to cry the first time you put a scratch on it yourself?

Ok I can see your point there. But the thing is still a truck. And since when is a 4000 dollar truck a beater? They are just starting to get good at that age.