NP208 fluid from breather

Last weekend I spotted a small puddle of trans fluid under my 83 K5 Blazer. Turns out that it was coming from the transfer case (NP208) breather tube. It seems that it was spewing out during a drive on the interstate and dripped down when I pulled into the driveway. The fluid level was not noticeably down. The trip was only about a half hour, and I had driven maybe 5 minutes in 4Lo before the trip.

I had this happen one other time when I left the hubs locked by mistake and drove at about 80 on the freeway. In this case though, the hubs were unlocked. Well, they were in the unlocked position, maybe they stayed locked for some reason? I jacked the truck up and the tires spin freely, so the hubs are working properly.

My questions are: should I be worried about this? Is it normal to spew some fluid even with the hubs engaged (and the T-case in 2Hi)? My Jeep doesn't even have lockout hubs and it never does anything like this. What could be the cause?

If it matters, I have a long piece of rubber fuel line on the breather going up to the engine compartment to make sure no water gets in. Doubt this matters, but it does cause more of a mess.

Thanks.

Reply to
Charles

Have you been through water lately? If so, that might still be the cause (leaking in somewhere in a crack in a gasket etc.).

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Reply to
Charles

Well, if you had been through some deep water off-roading (or flood situation) you can get water into the system and it makes a real mess. It displaces the oil (by adding to the total liquid volume etc.) and could be the source of the oil coming out the breather (both more liquid, but also higher temps in your NP208 because of the water). But since you haven't been in water, it isn't a consideration. But that is why I asked.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris