Obtaining diagnostic codes by key??

1991 Chevy K-1500 350 Auto

I thought there was an easy way to obtain diagnostic codes by using the ignition key, then counting the dash light sequence. A google search hasn't provided the answer I was looking for. I may have confused this with a Jeep procedure.

The truck is not running right, and the fuel mileage is way off. Before asking for any guidance on the problems, I would like to uncover the codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Reply to
Retiredff

If the light's not on, there's no code. If the light IS on, go invest in a Haynes manual, they tell you how to do it and give some basic troubleshooting for each code. The Haynes manual is only about $15...

Reply to
Mike Levy

I have both the Haynes and Chilton books. Since neither of them tell you how to do what I was thinking you could do, then it is probably just me getting the Jeep mixed up with the Chevy.

And, the light is not on, so I guess there is nothing recorded.

Thanks.

Reply to
Retiredff

Not on a GM product. On OBD-I vehicles you short out two terminals in the ALDL connector to flash the CEL. BUT if the light is working (it does come on while starting the vehicle?) and it is off, nothing that the computer monitors has FAILED. That doesn't mean nothing is wrong just that a component hasn't actually failed.

What symptoms are you having besides "not running right" and "fuel mileage". Post them and give us something to work with.

Reply to
Steve W.

The light is working. I intend to post with the problems, but just wanted to find any codes that might be lurking before I did it. It will be in a new post.

Reply to
Retiredff

Try this

It's not your truck, but still GM.

Reply to
RJ in WV

yep.. mopar has the on-off-onn-etc. thing for simple codes..

Reply to
mac davis

Mopar is simple?

Is it not?

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:16:53 GMT, "Refinish_King1" wrote: sometimes... then again... took my a few months of over heating in the dakota and help from the dodge NG to find out that the cooling system has a damn AIR bleed! Burped the sucker and never had a problem again.. lol

Reply to
mac davis

Stink a paperclip thats un a u shape in the top right to connectors that is under dash. then have key to on position. that will tell you the code. then use net to look up the code.

Reply to
R. J Younger

Did it. Just confirmed for myself that there were not any. More to come...

Reply to
Retiredff