oil filter housing gasket on a 1997 blazer s10 4x4

Does anybody know how to get to the oil filter housing gaskets on a 1997 blazer s10 4x4?

viper wrote:

The oil filter housing is remote on these vehicles. It's located right under the radiator. The only gaskets there are the seals for the oil cooler lines.
Or are you talking about the cooler line adapter that bolts to the engine block?
Ian
Thanks for your answer. I was told that the source of the oil leak might be from these oil filter housing gaskets and that these parts were somewhat defective on these cars. Therefore, I don't think I need to mess with the oil cooler lines.

viper wrote:

Are you sure you want to attempt this repair? It doesn't sound to me like you have enough mechanical knowledge to do this repair. Here's what you have on your truck, assuming that nothing has been changed from the factory setup. You will have an adapter that bolts to the engine block where the oil filter would normally be on a 2 wheel drive vehicle without the oil cooler lines. From there, you have a set of engine oil cooler lines that run from the adapter along the left side of the oil pan and then connect to the remote oil filter housing which is located under the radiator. Your oil filter should be screwed to that housing. From there, there is another set of engine oil cooler hoses that run from the oil filter housing up to the drivers side of the radiator.
So have another look, and then tell me where the oil leak is coming from.
Ian
Thanks for your answers again.I am trying to understand what these oil cooler lines are. Do they carry radiator fluid and if so would I need to drain the radiator as well? This will be my first attempt on replacing a part around the oil filter. The part that leaks is the adaptor that is bolted to the engine block. There seems to be only one bolt for it. But these (oil cooler lines?) confuse me now.

viper wrote:

The oil cooler lines carry engine oil. You will need to unbolt the end of the oil cooler line that bolts to the adapter at the engine block. This is not an easy job on a 4x4 vehicle. You need a long (36" at least) extension and a flex socket (13mm) to get at the bolt. Once the cooler lines are unbolted from the adapter, you can unbolt the adapter (it should have two bolts) and drop it down. There is also a small bolt that retains the cooler line assembly to the oil pan....right at the front of the oil pan. Removing this should allow you to move the cooler lines forward a bit.
That's the easy part, cleaning/scraping the old gasket off of the block can be more difficult as the space is very limited. Good luck!
Ian