oil filter weirdness

OK, help me out here guys. I went to an Autozoned earlier today and bought what their book says is the correct Bosch oil filter, a p.n. 3332. Well, I thought it looked way too small so I also looked up the Mobil 1 filter. It said to use part number whatever(MOT-1-I think) and when I opened it was a similar size-about 3 inches tall and 3 inches across. So I then take the Bosch up to the counter and have the parts monkey double check-yep, the book and the computer says it's the right one. Was in a hurry when leaving so I didn't crawl underneath to see what was already on it(big mistake). Get home and after a couple hours decide to start changing oil. Truck is a '04 K1500 Silverado Z-71 5.3 ltr. V8(I'm the one posted about oil & filters) and yep, you guesed it-has an AC PF-59 on it now. WTH? Looks to be twice as tall and so now I'm totally bumfuzzled. I thought it looked strange as I'm used to my '91 C-1500 350 with the humongous(in comparison) filter.

So who is wrong-the Quikilube who changed it last time and used the AC PF-59 (Pop still had it then) or the Autozoned which says to use this itty-bitty filter? This little Bosch looks like what I use on my Troybilt lawntractor w/14 horse Kohler-ain't no way this'll work on a 5.3 liter V8, right? Or not?

A little help please and it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Snuffy P.S. have read that the Bosch and AC are identical internally

Reply to
Snuffy Smiff

According to AC-Delco at

the correct PF # for your 2004 truck is PF46, which does cross-reference OK to the Bosch 3332

the 1991 calls for a PF-35L

Reply to
Reed

Thanks Reed, but now it gets even weirder: I talked to my dad this morning. He says the last oil change was done at a Chevy dealer somewhere near Tampa! So why would a dealership install an AC PF59? (maybe like me, they thought that tiny PF46 filter is incorrect?!?)

Just fer chits and giggles I think I'll call a couple of dealers around here and see what they use...

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy Smiff

It's not unusual to use a larger filter in place of the smaller one specified in the book. I used to use a filter on my '95 Chevy C1500 with the 6.5L turbo diesel that was twice the height of the stock one - it was listed for a late '70's 350 gasser but the thread pitch and base diameter were exactly the same as the one listed for the 6.5L diesel. Never had a problem and always liked the idea of having twice as much filter media. The only problem with that old motor was even after a change with fresh oil, by the time you ran around the block once it was black again no matter what filter it had on it.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race