oil from tailpipes

hi, what causes small drops of oil from the tailpipes? have a 454 that was rebuilt last summer and has about 700 miles on it now. a friend followed me on the highway and said he was getting some kind of film on his windshield, that's how it was noticed. thanks for any help

Reply to
Rick

I seriously doubt that you have oil drops coming from the tail pipe. If there was that much oil going out the exhaust it would be smoking like a freight train. More than likely you have an oil pan or intake leak that's making it's way to the back of the truck while going down the road. Or transmission fluid etc.

Brian

windshield,

Reply to
NoSpam

I second that!

1/4 Mile Junkies
Reply to
Bill S

I'll third that! Likely oil pan or transmission pan gasket.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Rick

Water is a byproduct of combustion. It's probably just water that has picked up some carbon along the way. H

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
Rick

I'm still bettin' it's water or, worst case, coolant and carbon. If you live in an area with high humidity it will be more noticeable. It never hurts to keep an eye on your coolant level. If it's going down, stop driving it till you find out where it's going. H

Reply to
Hairy

windshield,

Are you actually losing any oil? Small drops add up fast...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
Rick

Rick I really do think if you had a quart go through the combustion chamber to the exhaust it would have to smoke like mad. I don't think that you could get oil out the tail pipe with out it getting burnt. I would surly check for leaks some where. I'm not saying your wrong but if oil were in fact running through the motor at a rate to still be liquid at the tail pipe it would surly foul a spark plug or two.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Well then yank all eight sparkplugs and see if they're oily. If it is oil coming out your tailpipe, it's gotta go thru the combustion chamber and the plugs will be greasy as shit.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

To all who think that if that much oil was coming out the tailpipe, that it would smoke, I have seen an engine do thatand not smoke. Late model superstock, delivered 2 days before race so no chance to fix. The only thing they know was oil running down the valve stem in the exhaust when they installed it. It almost emptied the dry sump tank halfway through the race, refilled at halfway point when they pitted, almost empty again at end of race. No smoke, no leaks but a nice film of oil all the way down the side of car behind the exhaust outlet. It was a good motor though, 355, unported cast iron heads, 9:1, 390cfm 4 barrel, 540 hp.

Reply to
William

I'll agree that it wasn't smoking, but it can only be that the plug(s) in the effected cylinders were fouled and not firing due to the massive oil infestation.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Actually William has a point. If it's valve stem seals on the exhaust valves then the oil wouldn't necessarily enter the combustion chambers while running, although it would likely smoke upon startup. That sounds like an awful lot of oil though.I can't see a quart of oil through the cat over the course of 200 miles doing it much good.

Reply to
SBlackfoot