Oil Leak -- 1994 GMC Jimmy

I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3L "W" engine. Son came home today and the thing is pouring oil on the ground. Appears to be coming from the area behind and inboard of the left exhaust manifold collector. Seems to be where the oil filter ought to be but I have the remote filter.

Is this the connection point for the remote filter? If so, is it known to leak? Easy repair? Are parts (gaskets or ???) available?

Comments and help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JJC

Reply to
Johnca

Shep

Thanks. I'm going to try to tackle it today. JJC

Reply to
Johnca

Just had my 94 done by indy shop. GM hose and seals = $92, Labor

1.4hrs x$85, total = $218 I had d>
Reply to
Reed

I think you are right. I started to take it apart -- starting with the engine to bell housing brace. Got it off but didn't have the right equipment to proceed so I reassembled. It took me and my 20 YO son almost 2 hours to get the block bolt for the brace reinstalled.

I just added 4 qts of oil and will have it towed to a shop. Hopefully, I can get the deal you got.

Thanks for the info.

JJC

Reply to
Johnca

Well, I got my truck back today. Fortunately, they fixed the problem. Unfortunately, it cost more that Reed paid -- mine was about $450 (I live in Southern California, but they don't take "sunshine dollars" in payment).

Turns out that the adapter plate (not the hoses) was leaking. The O-ring had split but the adapter plate also had a crack in it. Shop replaced both and it seems to be holding.

They added a dye to leak test -- will go back next week to be sure. Looks good so far.

Thanks for your input.

JJC

Reply to
Johnca