Oil Leak 2001 S10 ZR2

I just purchased a used 2001 S10 ZR2 with only 30K miles on it last week. It's immaculate...almost perfect condition. I noticed on my garage floor that it's leaking quite a bit of oil. I loosened the oil filter door on the bottom on the engine compartment (4.3L V6) and noticed that the whole underside of the filter and surrounding hoses were dripping in oil. Nice. My 1991 Ford Ranger with 157K miles on it didn't leak oil!!! Is this a common problem?

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

No it is not a common problem. It could be leaking around the filter. Not tight or one of the hoses or fittings could be loose. Clean it up and crank it up and see where it is coming from.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Woodcock

"No it is not a common problem. It could be leaking around the filter. Not tight or one of the hoses or fittings could be loose. Clean it up and crank it up and see where it is coming from."

Thanks, I will. I'm just a little frustrated.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Actually....it "is a common problem". We do engine oil cooler hoses every day at our dealership on the Jimmy/Blazer/S-10 trucks. Your truck may not have the updated hoses that GM released a while back. Even the updated hoses leak, but they seem to hold together better then the old style. We've seen a number of engines damaged because the customer drives the vehicle until one of the hoses just blows off, dumps all the engine oil, and the engine eats ifself. Of course, these are the customers that don't seem to understand what the oil gauge and light are for.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"Actually....it "is a common problem". We do engine oil cooler hoses every day at our dealership on the Jimmy/Blazer/S-10 trucks. Your truck may not have the updated hoses that GM released a while back."

Good to know. I hope that this is all it is!

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Very common problem..my 93 s10 blazer oil lines leaked, and guess what, my 2003 S-10 4.3 oil lines also started to leak! Dealer replaced them under warrenty, but 10 years later and I come up with the same problem!! I think it is expensive to have them replaced. So much for quaulity! Dealer just sruggled his shoulders.

Reply to
Andy & Carol

I just checked alldata.com to see if there was a TSB on the oil cooler hoses, but I couldn't find one. Just FYI.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Well it's been a few days since I cleaned everything off. I can see that the oil appears to be dripping off of one of the hoses just above the oil filter (the rear one to be precise). I assume this is one of the oil cooler hoses Ian was talking about. The hose disappears after turning upwards towards the engine and I couldn't see where it attatches to, but I'm guessing it's nothing more than the connection and/or hose (as opposed to a seal leak on the engine somewhere beyond my eyesight). Anyway, now that the area is clean it should be easy for my mechanic to track down and quickly fix.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F